SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 07:05:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powder coating removal  (Read 20285 times)
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« on: March 24, 2015, 05:16:55 pm »

Is it difficult or more labor extensive to sand-blast off powder coated painted items? If sand-blasting is not the best method, then what is the best way?

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:49:08 am »

Powder-coating is very difficult to remove from flat metal panels because sand-blasting heats the metal and will/could warp it.
Other metal objects such as vehicle frames, car wheels, poles, framing etc, etc all can be sand-blasted a little more aggressively, but it still can be difficult...
I'm not sure what the object/part is needing attention, but you can sand prime/paint over powder-coating...

My six cents,

Jim

Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:05:42 am »

It is flat metal panels that needs to have the powder coating removed. Good to know you can sand prime/paint over powder coating.

Thanks for the info.

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:18:18 am »

Maybe call a powder coater... they may have something they use or could tell you what is best to use.
Got to be something to get it off in case they make a mistake on a job.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:31:32 am »

I had a batch of parts that got powdercoated white, rather than silver.
      Sent 'em back and they powdercoated right over them.  darn

Glen
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:10:21 pm »

Got to be something to get it off in case they make a mistake on a job.
One of the sand-blasters I use has some "methal-ethyl bad sh#$%", and I mean BAD ! ! !  That can strip powder-coating off some materials... Ex. some time ago, I was stripping stoner shelves and for some reason, I had color coded zip-ties on the tie wire for a couple of sets/groups of shelves. Less than 5 min, the zip-ties were gone! Between 5 - 10 min later it was time to remove the shelves; they were clean!

To add to Glenn's statement, all you need to do is sand/scuff the powder-coating and spray the part(s) again with the same/different color.  Be for warned, if a part has close tolerances, you may want to consider sanding those areas extra to keep the thickness to a minimum for the second coat...

Chedki - In your case, they can be sanded w/ 220 on a D/A Orbital sander and sent back for another coating with the new color!

My six cents,

Jim

Stotman

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »

My local powder coater puts previously powder coated items in an oven and burns off the old coat.
Victor
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:39 pm »

Try dipping , I had my doors and shell , bottle door and coin door dipped to take off all the paint for 80.00 bucks witch was well worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: