SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 08:32:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier cooler value  (Read 6763 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« on: February 05, 2015, 10:09:44 am »

We have been paying top dollar for 81's, restoring them and selling them for $7 to $8K.

Maybe we are missing something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Vintage-1950-039-s-Coke-a-Cola-Cooler-Refrigerator-Storage-/181617970374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a49464cc6&nma=true&si=wPC2kOfiQR6LSE53S5oZYm0kaE4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Glen
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:45:55 am »

I recently had the chance to meet and talk with a professional restorer. He had a cooler in the shop to do for a customer. When I asked about it, he said he does a fair amount of them. I don't think he does much on spec because he is busy, but he said he has in the past. I don't know if they are making a comeback or just still a smaller market.

(Before you all jump me, yes, I know you are professionals here. I'm just giving a little perspective from someone who doesn't post here.)

Tim
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:47:06 am »

That is fantastic looking.  In the right setting, it could certainly be a centerpiece.  I hope my WE-6 looks that good some day.

I can see why this would go for that price, not to a home collector but maybe someone trying to run a nostalgic cafe or something.  Far more practical than a machine because it is essentially a refrigerator so you can put all kinds of things into it.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
GreenMo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:06:28 am »

Perhaps someone in the retail market like Oprah Winfrey who at one point had a Vendo 44 in her kitchen. 
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

That cooler has like 9 embossed panels.  I bet you could restore 2 or 3 (81's) faster than that Beast!

The chest coolers are a beast to restore!  If you do one roll up your sleeves and plan for 2 years!!
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 01:05:40 pm »

That is fantastic looking.  In the right setting, it could certainly be a centerpiece.  I hope my WE-6 looks that good some day.

I can see why this would go for that price, not to a home collector but maybe someone trying to run a nostalgic cafe or something.  Far more practical than a machine because it is essentially a refrigerator so you can put all kinds of things into it.

Jim

X2....I think marketing has alot to do with the price realized for that cooler.  Most any cooler or upright, when restored properly, is going to draw the adverage guy in.  If you can get that cooler or upright in front of people that don't normally travel in those circles, maybe you get lucky.  I know a guy who runs an architectural salvage company...its amazing the prices he gets for old doors, mantles, etc.  His shop in in a big city and alot of his customers "grey puponers" who pay big bucks for old school items.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:48 pm »

I have never restored on of these big coolers, but looking at what It would cost to tear this thing down, get it painted, move it around from place to place, then hand lettered then the lids replaced or redone? (do they look powder coated to anyone)? and then the insides redone... it would add up quite fast..

its a great looking cooler for sure, and I would love to have one if I had the place for it... 

worth asking price? probably not, but if your wanna catch a big fish you got cast the line first and see what bites...(ok just came up with that). oh

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 03:47:28 pm »

worth asking price? probably not,

It SOLD for $10K.   Point I was trying to make is these are plentiful can be had for FREE if anyone cared to tackle them.

Glen
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 05:55:08 pm »

Looks like there may be something of a market for them, but I'm guessing they have to be a real nice restoration to get most people's attention. 

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:01 pm »

Glenn is right they are plentiful and cheap
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: