SMC Discussion Areas
April 23, 2024, 10:48:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What fridge is this ??  (Read 13571 times)
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »

Haha I don't think its Canadian EH
Lol.  Haven't seen them here....   biggrin

ricster

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 05:13:16 am »

hahaha.... could possibly not be ...Eh ??

I was also thinking the styling was looking more towards the 70's era with the square corners and more box shape ..... 60's still had some nice curves, like a fine woman....Eh??  laugh
ricster

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 04:43:21 am »

From the photos on the 1st page, does anyone have an idea on how I can turn down the thermostat. It gets so cold that I'm worried its going to crack the glass bottles.

I looked all over, inside and out, for a thermostat knob or something similar but found nothing. I still have no clue who made this fridge or how old it is.
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »

I can't help with the thermostat, but it looks 70's to early 80's. I wish it was embossed.

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette
Starr X Openers
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 01:23:06 am »

Welcome to the board!! Have not seen another like yours. So will be of limited help.
May never had a T-stat. Looks late 40's early 50's to me. Ran my search engines as well.
It is a fog machine :-). Not.
Creighton
ricster

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:55 am »

hahaha.... a fog machine it may just be.... when you open it up its so damn cold in there that the fog overflows the rim.......hahahaha.

Yeah it very weird. I cannot even find a company in South Africa that even manufactured fridges for the beverage industry !!! I know there were a LOT of them when I was growing up as a kid. Every fuel station, and every corner grocery shop both big and small had these in them. There must have been many many many thousands of them made. There are a few Cavelier chest fridges around, but I think a huge portion of these fridges disappeared into oblivion over the years. There just doesn't seem to be any information locally either.

From memory, I seem to recall this style and shape, which is making me think its 70's, possibly very early 80's. The compressor and working bits underneath are all still original. I doubt a single hand has touched it since it was delivered to which ever shop it sat in for years !!

I thought that maybe seeing the British had a rather large population in South Africa at the time that maybe these machines were imported by Coca Cola from the UK, but cannot find any info. ( thought maybe Westinghouse UK or something similar). I know that Fuchs was quite big in South Africa at the time and did do refrigeration, but again I seem to come up with a blank.

Hmmmm.... so maybe mine is like the golden nugget of Coke fridges cause nobody has ever seen it.....hahaha.... Must be worth billions .......hahaha ( yeah right.... I'm so unlucky that if I was one of triplets, I'd be the one bottle fed..... tounge)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:34:31 am by ricster » Logged
ajf5577
Soda Jerks

Andy

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 09:32:16 am »

( yeah right.... I'm so unlucky that if I was one of triplets, I'd be the one bottle fed..... tounge)

LOL

VMC 7up 81
VMC Pepsi 33
Coke 81
Pepsi CV 78D
Vendo Milk Machine
Whistle Quikold
Whistle S&S
Cleo Cola Quikold
Stoner Gum Wheel
Looking for Picnic Coolers
Wanted- Superior Jr Orange Crush and Grapette