SMC Discussion Areas
April 25, 2024, 02:14:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V81 Main Cabinet Bottom Pan  (Read 8796 times)
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:51 pm »

For those who have replaced the bottom cabinet pan in an 81.  The channel that the botton breaker strip sits in is highlighted in the photo.  My question is about the sheet metal that forms the back of the channel. Is this part of the bottom cabinet pan (sheet metal is folded to creat this lip)?  In other words, when/if this pan is removed for replacement will this come with it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:09:44 pm by RustyGold » Logged
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 03:57:18 pm »

if this pan is removed for replacement will this come with it?

Nothing in that picture is removable, it's all welded together.  Why do you want it replaced?

Glen
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:17:56 pm »

Why do you want it replaced?

Because its full of rust and rot holes.

Edited for clarification.

My impression was that the bottom pan was often times removed when excessive rust was found here by grinding off the tack welds and replaced with a new piece of sheet metal.  It seems it has been done countless times before by others during a restoration or even a thorough refurb.  I ask because I was trying to determine how extensive the rust was in this area.  If the rotted breaker strip channel was part of the botton pan, the problem is solved because the pan was coming out anyway.  If the bottom pan comes out (after grinding the tack welds) and I still have the rot that I pictured with the arrow, I have more work to do.

Of course, all of this is assuming I am doing a full restoration which I am still on the fence about.  I figured it would be smart to find the extent of the rot in the machine which could only help me decide which path to take.  Full resto or refurb. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:43:39 pm by RustyGold » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »

I have new bottom pans put in all the machines I restore. Problem is , I don't do it, my body guy does and I am pretty sure that part is part of the new pan, but am not certain.. I dont' have an 81 in restoration at this time, but I'll ask him next time I see him and see if it is in fact.

one way to tell is when you cut out the welds and take the pan out, you'll know for sure.. then just take that rusty one to the sheet metal guy and have him make exact copy.

Good Luck

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »

Is this machine the 81-b you just picked up?  From the photos, it looked like that machine was a nice solid original with no rust.  Please keep us posted as to your progress.   drinking
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:42:23 pm »

Is this machine the 81-b you just picked up?  From the photos, it looked like that machine was a nice solid original with no rust.  Please keep us posted as to your progress.   drinking

That would be the one.   smile
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:05 am »

The pan in the bottom of the 81 cabinet has a lip on the front and the back.  The lip on the back turns down toward the compressor enclosure.  The lip on the front turns up and is the one you have indicated with the arrow in your pic.  I have a pan in my basement that I took out of my 81 when I redid it if you need any pics or other info.  Even though you can't see the new pans after you put your machine back together, I think it is one of the best things you can do for the long term integrity of the machine.  My before was basically the same as yours.  I attached a pic of the after.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »

Thank you Brian.  Just what I was looking for. Are your new pans Stainless?
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 11:48:37 pm »

I know some guys who work in a sheetmetal shop so I had them make me two new pans using the old ones as a template.  Only had to pay the difference in material cost to go stainless over galvanized so yeah I put in stainless pans

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:23 am »

Curious as why you would go stainless over just regular metal as that part gets primed, sealed and painted anyway, top bottom?  seems like and extra expense to me?

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:35:47 am »

I do some work with the guys that cut the pans for me.  I got both pans for a total of $120 and they asked if I wanted stainless so I said sure.  Cost difference was next to nothing since I new the guys.  Otherwise I would agree that regular galvanized would be fine.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:53:13 am »

Why would you not go with stainless if given the option?

I have had a few plates made when I did a machine a while back.  I didn't need the lip, so I just had a flat panel made to go in.

After seeing what a nice original looks like after 50 years that had been sealed and painted.  The extra cost for stainless is a non issue. 
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: