SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 09:21:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thermostat replacement and we6 question  (Read 4180 times)
Charlotte1

« on: November 25, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »

Hello Everyone
I have a Canadian Kelvinator wet machine that I was just able to convert to dry. So far it cools fairly well. The fellow that gave me a hand converting is from Korea. His english wasn't very good so I wasn't able to ask this question to him.
He replaced and charged the compressor, replaced the thermostat and we added a fan to the top of the cooling coil inside the tub.
The machine cools but it only runs for 20-30 secs then shuts off. Sits for 3-5 mins then starts runs for 20-30 secs and shuts off. Eventually the inside temp hits 2-3C. I'm thinking that the thermostat or possibly the probe is the issue.
The replacement thermostat has 2 terminals but has 2 tab/terminals that appear to be part of the housing. I'm guessing these are grounds.There is NO ground wire from these. There are only 2 wires going to the thermstat.
Does the thermostat need to be grounded to function properly? I've tried to keep the probe out of the cool air from the fan but could the location of the temp wire be the culprit?
If I were to replace the thermostat again, any idea what I should use with regards to Voltage, Amps? 2-3 wire unit?

I also have a we6 thats working like charm. Rewired, new agitator, some bright work and working very well. Cools to 32F!!
My question for this machine is what was used (if anything) to keep products ( maybe beer) from floating around the tub? Or did pop bottles(or beer) just float around? I have the water level at the recommended line on the tub.
Thanks everyone
Shayne 
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:26:14 am »

Hello Shayne,
Regret can not help on the Kelvinator.

The WE-6, I have never seen any type of rack. Think you were supposed to keep enough product stocked to keep the bottle tops above water.
There once was a service guide covering WE-6 on this site. Don't know it is still available.

My WE-6 is basically yard art. Would like to see pics of a working one.
Thanks!
Creighton

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

I've got a working WE6, the whole lower unit has been restored with new compressor, fan motor, wiring thermostat etc. A buddy of mine rebuilt it and the machine runs flawlessly. I love it!

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:30:19 am »

Picture? Thanks!
Creighton
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:47 am »

"My question for this machine is what was used (if anything) to keep products ( maybe beer) from floating around the tub? Or did pop bottles(or beer) just float around? I have the water level at the recommended line on the tub?"

The water line in the tank is the Maximum level to fill the unit, otherwise it will spray the circulation motor with water mist & cause per-mature failure, also you may have a 120 volt window light to worry about.

I also thought along the line that older bottles were made of thicker glass to accommodate refilling back in the day, therefore heavier than the modern counterparts.

I've repaired many WE6's & other water-bath coolers & have about three refer' units in my shop now to finish up, plus one conversion from water to air cooled

The WE6's waterfall is certainly a "wow" factor & this type of cooler will keep your sodas & beer at a perfect 32-Degrees F all day, but there is the maintenance factor with all water-chilled machines.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:49:47 am by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:12:47 am »

I have never seen a waterfall in action, although I guess that's what the viewing window is for?
      Does the agitator motor do more than just circulate water?
      Anyone have pic's of this?

Glen
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:27:44 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOb2_Dtzn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1NCCViQLk

Charlotte1

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:01:06 am »

Hello Everyone
Thanks for the input. I'll try lowering the water level and see what that does. I'll try to get some video/pictures of the waterfall.
Any more ideas on the Kelvinator thermostat/shut off problem? I'm thinking of rolling the dice and getting another thermostat to try but didn't want to throw parts at it.
Thanks All
Charlotte1

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:17 am »

Just thought of a couple more questions. Regarding thermostat replacement. What voltage,amp requirements do I look for when replacing?
Also for the model catalog database, I see there are no pictures of this particular Kelvinator. Do we need an update? Where do I send photos of it?
The tag on it says its a FES-59. I think.
Shayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: