SMC Discussion Areas
April 19, 2024, 07:33:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats your bid on this mystery 81D?  (Read 24622 times)
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« on: September 14, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »

I posted in a previous thread about an 81 I stumbled across during a pick up.  For those that didn't follow that, in a nutshell the owner also had an 81D in his house that he repainted at least 20 years ago and place high up on a shelf of sorts.  The thing is, I couldn't really inspect it because of its location, and his memory was fuzzy on its history and what parts it lacked in particular.  He said he just doesn't remember its condition prior to the repaint other than a large dent on the very top. However with all of this uncertainty I never got the impression he wasn't being truthful.  The Vendo 39 I purchased from him was a great buy and turned out to be a solid, straight machine and he didn't remember much about that either.  So with this, I am going to concentrate on what I do know.  It's an 81D.  Its been indoors for at least 20 years.  The body has high gloss paint, but the bodywork was far from professional.  Main door was wavy with small dings ( I assume the rest of the sheet metal looked like this).  Dust in the clear coat.  Amateur hour at best, but better than a backyard spray bomb restoration.  Interior condition unknown.  Completeness unknown.  Basically what you see in the picture is what we all know and nothing more.  
      He was at $2500 for it, but seemed like he was willing to deal.  I know this seems cheap for an 81, but its still a lot of money for a complete basket case if that what it turns out to be.  What would you be willing to risk if all you knew is what you can see here in this photo?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:55:48 pm by RustyGold » Logged
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:25:58 pm »

What I want to know, and maybe you can ask him.... how high is that shelf? and how did he bring it up there?

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

I would feel safe offering $2k for just what I see.

Glen
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:35:07 pm »

does the price include him getting it down.it looks pretty high
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:12:58 pm »

I'm with Moondawg....2k and he has to get it down

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:36 pm »

You know, every time I see this picture I want to think that is one of those small toy models sitting on a fire place or book shelf. If you hadn't told me it was the real deal, I wouldn't have believed it. I bet there's a real interesting story behind how it got up there, and an even better one in getting it back down.  biggrin
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:14:10 pm »

You know, every time I see this picture I want to think that is one of those small toy models sitting on a fire place or book shelf. If you hadn't told me it was the real deal, I wouldn't have believed it. I bet there's a real interesting story behind how it got up there, and an even better one in getting it back down.  biggrin

And I thought it was a Christmas tree ornament. Especially with the green tree behind it. laugh
RustyGold
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »

I'm with Moondawg....2k and he has to get it down

does the price include him getting it down.it looks pretty high

It's up about 8-9 feet in a recessed area above the family room.  It's a contemporary house that the guy built himself.  Something tells me that I'm not going to escape the task of getting it down from there. Which is okay I guess because I'd rather know that the thing didn't hit the ground hard or otherwise get damaged during the process.
I'm sure some of you may be thinking that this doesn't have to be a mystery Coke machine in the first place. All I need to do is inspect it and make him an offer. Which is true in the end, but until I can get down there and prop up a stepladder to it and nose around it for a few minutes this is all I have. With my lack of knowledge in all things antique soda machines I figured I would bounce it off of you to make sure that the money we have been talking is in the ballpark.  

I'm going to set my sights on $1500 and hope that he bites on that. If he does I should be in great shape for anything I decide to do with it like a full proper restoration or if I ever do decide to sell it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:38:27 pm by RustyGold » Logged
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:44:53 am »

at 1500-1800 your buying it at unrestored prices.. so your not out anything.

at 2k it's still a good deal , as it looks nice.. even it if needs a repaint.. but hard to tell.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:17:34 am »

Go there with one or 2 friends, 2 step ladders, a rope and a blanket.
        Remove the trees so you can inspect the body.
        Turn it 90 degrees to open the door for inspection......... then pay the man!
        Cut the wire for the door light and lift the door up and off it's hinges.
        Hand it down followed by the shelves and bottle stack.
        Compressor removal is even an option, but with the rope and blanket you should be able to slide it down and onto a table.

Glen
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: