SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:15:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman  (Read 6639 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: August 16, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

Superman Comic Book No. 1 up for sale on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311050328393

Here is a video of the history of the holy grail of comic books, an almost mint copy of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkj2r5ByM00

At 1.75 million now with no reserve.... any thoughts on the final sale?

I'm saying 3.6 million..... and whatever it sells for, I doubt it will ever be seen again by the public.

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:21:35 pm »

Was and still am a Superman fan... when I was a kid my entire room was Superman... I still have a lot of stuff... I have autographs from
Noel Neill ( First Lois Lane), Phyllis Coates, , Jack Larson all from the 50's TV series and Kirk Alyn (FIRST Silver screen actor to portray the man in blue)
Wish I would have gotten Christopher Reeve autograph... I have a box of comics most from the 70s and early 80s had a few of my dads and uncles but
wore them out reading them. Some of those where the silver age from the 50s! and of course some were taken away from me by
my 5th grade teacher! Never got those back! AAghhh!
I just have copies of that first one.... One was found about 2-3 years ago by a family that was loosing their home... they found it in a box of a great uncle's
things in the basement... it sold for over 1 million... what a blessing that was for them. I have this comic on my watch list... can you imagine finding one.
Wow....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »

I found the comic on eBay earlier and was going to post here too about it. Comics were my first obsession. I still have all the ones I collected as a kid.

I have the complete series of Superman through the whole 70's and almost all Action too. British rather than American imports (although I do have quite a few of those too).

Worth diddly Squat. but every time I come across them in the loft well I'm back there. Love them..

Keeping an eye on this one.. If I win the lottery before close I might even bid.

Dave

mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

Very cool. I didn't read the ad. How many are known to still be around?

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:14:26 am »

I wonder how big of a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation?

Not knowing all of the ins and outs of selling on EBay, is it possible that this guy could negotiate a sale offline prior to the ending of the auction and he is just using EBay as a cheap way to promote the sale (they obviously spent a few bucks for the professionally produced You Tube video) so prospective buyers can find him?  Sorry to be cynical glare but we see it with soda machines all the time.

Either way, it will be very interesting to see what this sells for.  One thing is for sure, you will not see my user name among the list of pre-qualified bidders! biggrin

drinking Tim drinking
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:18:33 am »

I wonder how big of a portion of the proceeds will benefit the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation?

Tim - In the auction pics there's a scan of a letter from the Foundation that says the seller will be donating 1% of the sale price.  Seems like a pretty stand-up thing to do, I like the choice of charities.  Fitting.   happydrinkers

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:41 pm »

I know to each his own but a couple million for a comic book?Huh? I just don't get it.
If I had 2 mil, a comic book would be way down my "to buy" list, like maybe item #10,000.

Greg
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:42 pm »

but the buyers for this comic just don't have 2 mil and they are collectors just like we are but with more money.
I can see the draw..

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:40 pm »

To them that comic would be like one of us finding a still in the original shipping crate RC 81.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:22:51 pm »

its definately our rc 81
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: