SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 09:17:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend Buys  (Read 6789 times)
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« on: August 04, 2014, 07:13:47 am »

Had a great weekend picking some great items. The one cooler is a hard to find Dr Pepper Guiberson cooler. The Vendo 23 and WD 5 I bought already restored. The Wrigley truck is a 1930's Buddy L truck. Can't wait to restore the Dr. Pepper cooler. In Jeff Walters book it shows this cooler with the porcelain plate on front and 10/2/4 round ones on the side. I'm not sure if these signs are period correct for this cooler? I would think that it should be the checkerboard pattern sign. Has anyone ever seen this cooler done any different. This cooler has original paint under the white cheap paint someone painted it. You can tell where they painted around the signs and later someone took them off. The holes on the front match the one that Jeff has in his book. So I'm not real sure what is correct on this cooler?

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:16:24 am »

Almost forgot the three carry coolers. They are the Progress Coolers and the guy already had them blasted and all the chrome polished or rechromed. They are Coca-Cola , Grapette, and 7-UP.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:44:20 am »

Nice finds Rod.. All weekends should be like that. Can't wait to see the Dr Pepper restored... Didn't Grapette have a cooler like that too... seems I've seen a brochure
or booklet on that cooler with Grapette on it too. Not sure about the sign... I think it was it Brian (7up) that had a cooler similar to this model with a older sign (brick background)
but it was mechanical I thought.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:22:46 am »

Went through some older post... It was Brian but it doesn't have the sign on it yet as he just had it painted but there are some images in the Soda Machine section
with the brick background.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:25:05 am by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:26:09 am »

Love the paint scheme on the WD 5.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 07:14:07 pm »

Congrats on the new additions

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »

nice haul rod cant wait to see the dr pepper restored
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »

Very nice haul!  When you redo the carry coolers, how do you repaint the embossed areas?  Do you do it by hand?  My son and I redid the same 7up you have and I made my own template to mask off the logo, but it only turned out so-so.  Thinking of redoing it and would love some input.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »

On embossing... I have a vinyl decal masking made... In your case paint the red, apply the masking decal... paint all the white, peal off the decal and clear.
Perfect red painted embossing.... I do this on my coolers and a few do it on their machines.... it's prefect.

Eric

WANTED:
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:33:06 am »

Very nice haul!  When you redo the carry coolers, how do you repaint the embossed areas?  Do you do it by hand?  My son and I redid the same 7up you have and I made my own template to mask off the logo, but it only turned out so-so.  Thinking of redoing it and would love some input.
I use the decal as a mask. Take for example the Coca-Cola. My painter will paint the embossed area white then put the decal over the embossed area then paint the rest of the cooler red and then peel off the decal and clear over the whole cooler.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: