SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 03:53:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am i missing something? Refilling and recapping bottles.....  (Read 2372 times)
addamb
5 Cent Member

« on: July 15, 2014, 07:08:23 am »

So i had the bright idea (I thought) yesterday that i could wash out my used bottles in the dishwasher and refill them from 2 liter bottles and recap them. So i picked up an all metal recapper yesterday off EBay and it comes with 50 new crowns for $18 shipped. After sharing my idea with my co-workers (thinking i'm gonna save $$ and beat the system), many of which do home brew beer, i was informed that since i'd be introducing oxygen into the drink, it wouldn't keep in the bottles. Now i agree with that to an extent, but we don't drink a ton of soda, and the plan is to fill maybe 8-10 8oz bottles a week, place them directly in the machine, and then just wash and fill them once they are nearly all gone a week or so later. So would the soda keep for that week or so? Or is it going to taste odd/flat? Is there any health risks if i have a bottle i refilled that sits in there for a month or so and i forget about or is it just going to be gross tasting?

I figure it lasts in a 2 liter that's being opened and closed constantly for about a week in the fridge, so a glass bottle would be as ideal if not more to last at least a week in our machine.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:37:01 am by addamb » Logged

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
1981 Asteroids Deluxe Cabaret
1981 Ms. Pac-Man Cocktail
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:46:44 am »

I've been doing this for years, they will last at least a month.
       Before filling.......keep bottles and product cold, then transfer and cap them smooth but quickly.

Glen
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:52:06 am »

I've been doing this for years, they will last at least a month.
       Before filling.......keep bottles and product cold, then transfer and cap them smooth but quickly.

Awesome thank you for the advice! Do you use a special funnel to do the transfer or just tip the bottle on it's side and slowly pour it in?

Now i need to get the wife on board, she thinks it's "gross" but i tried to explain that when you used to return the bottles all they did was run them through a sanatizer too, and likely modern dishwashers do twice as good as the old sanatizers.

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:09:04 am »

I do it all the time with rootbeer and orange soda for the kids...
but as glen said,, keep everything cold, as it won't foam up as much.

I've had sodas in there as long as a month as well and still have a fizz when we open them... no problem.

of course with kids and rootbeer/orange... nothing lasts 1 month.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:20 am »

Awesome thank you for the advice! Do you use a special funnel to do the transfer or just tip the bottle on it's side and slowly pour it in?

Now i need to get the wife on board, she thinks it's "gross" but i tried to explain that when you used to return the bottles all they did was run them through a sanatizer too, and likely modern dishwashers do twice as good as the old sanatizers.

Home brewers and breweries do it all of the time. they sell bottle brushes to really get in there.

Tim
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:57 am »

Thanks for all the good advice guys! My Capper will be here Thursday i can't wait!!!

Now i justy gotta find some cheap painted 7-up bottles. I have a bunch of new ones i bought from Farm Fresh for a buck a piece, but they all have decals on them that i'm sure won't last more then a cycle through the dishwasher. My kid won't care, but I do. Luckily the 8 OZ coke bottles Target sells still are painted.

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: