SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 01:10:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Westinghouse Standard - Removing the tank liner  (Read 7048 times)
sbcroix

« on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:40 pm »

Well maybe not a plethora, but several.

I Just got a water cooled Westinghouse closed front standard cooler from my grandparents.  And I want to do the restoration myself.
I have a little experience as I fixed up an old Square Top Cavalier USS-12-96.

I was thinking this would be easier, but right away I hit a snag.  I can't figure out how to remove the tank liner. 
It seems like the tank liner is actually larger than the body of the machine (sorry no pictures right now), and is underneath the lip of the body and down about an inch or so.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I figure I would at least ask before I do something stupid and break something.

Thanks!

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:11 pm »

It's held in by a tar like medium along the inside top.. remove the underneath support bands and the fiberboard insulation the tub should just push down and come out through the bottom.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:57:11 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
sbcroix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »

It's help in by a tar like medium along the inside top.. remove the underneath support bands and the fiberboard insulation the tub should just push down and come out through the bottom.

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the speedy reply...  Don't know why I didn't think of that!  It makes perfect sense though.

--Scott
sbcroix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »

Not sure what the rules are here, but I didn't want to do a lot of over-posting. 
So my next question is:

I need some parts...

Machine is a 1941 Westinghouse Standard Closed Front Water Bath Cooler (say that 10 times fast)
pics here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=201BFBEB8D9ABE91&id=201BFBEB8D9ABE91%21278&authkey=%21AD-RFkK2H_jun2M#cid=201BFBEB8D9ABE91&id=201BFBEB8D9ABE91%21277

I am missing the following:
cap catcher
compressor grate
2 hole coca-cola bottle opener
The bottom pieces of the water agitator (don't really know what it's called, but the part that is supposed to move the water around).  I have the motor, but there is nothing attached to the bottom of the drive shaft and there is threading on it that tells me there should be something there.
I also might be missing the cover for the cooling coil / water agitator.  I am not sure if my cooler actually had one to begin with as it seems that some do and some don't.

And finally, Can anyone in the Seattle area give me a lead on a compressor guy?

Thanks,
  --Scott

Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:28:18 pm »

Was not able to see your pictures. I just finished a 41 Westy Master a few months ago and used it for the first time last week (looks awesome sitting out on the deck). You should be on the right track now with the liner removal. Just insure you remove all the pluming before dropping it out. The supports are usually held in place by a nail inserted through the support into the fiberboard. I put a label on each fiber board panel so I didn't have to guess when I put it all back together.
As far as the parts some are easy and others are a little harder to get. ( http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=298 ) Funtronics will have most of the things you need. An original cap catchers are a little pricey but do show up from time to time on ebay, the agitator/Coil cover will be a bit harder of a find but not impossible. I think I actually may have an extra one but if I remember right it was missing an inch of the cover at the bottom.  Your welcome to have it just pay for the shipping. Keep us updated and post some pictures of your progress.   Cool

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:55:31 pm by Blind1968 » Logged

~ Bryan
sbcroix

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:51:29 pm »

Edited my share setting's so you should be able to see the photo's now using this link.

http://sdrv.ms/ZII6CP

I was able to get the liner out, thanks to you guys. 
I also removed the lids, which sounds easy until you realize that my family had them welded to the body with some brackets.

Started the long process of scraping out tar.  I added some progress pictures to my skydrive, as well as a few uploads here as well.

I also have a tip for all of you out there, in case you are not familiar with it. 
PB Blaster!!  The best magnetic lubricant ever!  Of course you might all know that already, but just in case, I thought I would share.

Going to try and do some attachments soon, but all my files are too big
First Timer

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:31:32 am »

I have started on my 40 westy master and was wondering if you had pics of your finished unit? And maybe some words of advise or items to be aware of during process?

I am at the stage of removing the liner. I was wondering how practical is it to reuse the fiber board or is there a more efficient substance to use in its place.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:59:34 pm by johnieG » Logged
krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 01:25:27 am »

ok. I also have a westy standard and got the liner out the same way..  when the liner goes back in does it have to have all that tar on it? is there some other way to get it to stay in??

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 05:37:16 am »

I have seen it done several different ways, some have used the fiberboard as a template to make a foam board replacement. Some of the foam board comes with a tongue and groove edge that will help keep the two bottom pieces locked together. Your cross members will hold everything in-place with no need to use the Tar (IMO) 

~ Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: