SMC Discussion Areas
June 02, 2024, 08:06:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a fair cost for paint?  (Read 6455 times)
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:48 pm »

Have a Stoner Candy machine I just took to get painted.
Local auto body shop that expressed an interest in doing some of these restorations
Problem is that the do a google search and their eyes light up when they see the totally restored prices on Ebay

So those of you who send items out to get painted.

What is fair price for
1) Stoner Candy
2) Standard size coke machine with minimal body work

Earlier post someone mentioned 700 bucks but with perhaps if we get an idea of going rate, may help ithers to negotiate
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:08:37 am by johnieG » Logged

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
200Gumball Machines- I have a sickness
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:27:29 pm »

Regret you have not received a reply. I'll try.

Bit confused, you say a local body shop eyes light up. Why? Paint is Paint.
Paint job if you farm it out is at a quoted price. Get a signed quote before hand. Take lot's of pictures. Check the ability of the restorer before dropping any coin. Maybe a small adjustment if surprises.
occur. There will never be a "Going Rate". Each machine restoration is diverse and requires specilized talents of several folks to complete.

Without any pictures. Hard to say. $1500 would be a start could be another $500.

Creighton
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:13:23 pm by Creighton » Logged
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »

Guy was a first timer
Called me the next day with an estimate
Machine does have a big dent so needs some body work
Agreed on 1050 which seemed high but just not sure what a professional  paint and body work costs.

I agree that value of machine should not influence cost
Will eventually need my 72 painted and just hoping to get an idea of what others are being charged

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:31 pm »

I'm with Creighton on this one, the body shop should be providing you a service and should be able to provide you a quote no matter what the end value of the machine is.  

I'm no expert by any means, but there are a lot of factors in a price quote as well, types of paint (single stage, basecoat/clearcoat, etc.) paint manufacturer and quality of the overall job.  Is the body shop going to wet sand between each coat, or just slap on some paint and buff it out when its done?  

Just some things to think about, there's a few other painters/restorers on here that will have a better idea of cost.

genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:40:23 pm »

here is pic

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:22 pm »

and this

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:30:58 pm »

To fix those correctly is going to be spendy. Need any help just ask here.
I don't have any interest in Stoners. Best of Luck!

Creighton

Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:15:55 am »

Lets start with the Stoner first. To have it blasted, body work, primed, painted, cleared coated, and buffed should run you around $1,100. For a soda machine in fair condition needing some body work, but not a rust bucket to do everything listed for the Stoner should run around $1,300. Any body shop doing it for less than this you will want to ask lots of questions. This is a normal rate to have a professional job done at a body shop using a good paint booth. Hope this helps you. 

Rod
Fun-Tronics
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:52:14 am »

Think of it this way, for every dent they are going to pull its going to be labor unless they just fill them which is scary. Anything on a curve is harder. I was told to count the dents at $50 each for the little ones, $100 for the bigger crunches or oddball placement harder ones and you start to get the idea just for body work.

Tim
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:20 am »

I don't believe that dent is as bad as it looks. Easily accessed from the inside, an experienced body man should have it straight in about an hour. But pricing for a paint job also has a lot of variables.

First, when requesting a quote it is always a good idea to have as much of the machine prepped as possible.
 If it's not going to be sandblasted, then clean and sand all hard to reach areas and small parts, leaving less work for the shop,
         And in choosing a body shop, think like the owner. Shops that do most of their work for insurance companies don't really need your business.
If they throw a number at you and you decline, you're only a drop in the bucket.
        Smaller shops or trade schools will probably give your project more personal attention. Stress the fact that this machine takes up much less space than a car and can be worked on between other jobs.

Materials used will cost any shop up to $300.00. The rest is labor and that is the big variable. The number of times is it sprayed, color sanded, buffed and re-sprayed increases the results. Paint always has some "orange-peel" on the original application. Each time it is 'cut and buffed' and clearcoted, it looks better and better. I have enclosed a picture of a Pepsi 81 as an example.  
      So the answer to your original question depends on how much gloss would you like to buy for your machine.

Glen
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: