SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 04:09:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Dr Pepper Atlas Junior W/Mech  (Read 4924 times)
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:08 am »

Bought this very rare Dr Pepper Altas Junior cooler with the rare selectvend mech. The best part is that it came from a local Dr Pepper plant that use to be close to me. All the parts are there but will need a total restoration. This is a wonder just to see this thing work. The drum and the mech are the most complex thing I have ever seen. The mech you would put your nickle in and it would go thru a trigger to release a arm to rotate the drum. Then the nickle goes and sits in this clear window where you can see it and does not drop into the coin box until another nickle is put thru the mech. Really hard to explain how it works, but really cool to watch it work. The guy I bought it from parents use to own and operate the old Dr Pepper plant. So he grew up there and knew all about the coolers and signs. He is the one that showed me how everything worked on this cooler. I have restored a lot of machines and there's not a lot that really excites me anymore, but this one I am very excited about bringing it back to life. This one will be a keeper.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:06 am »

What a jewel! Those large corner caps and embossing are going to make that machine POP when it's done.  happydrinkers

So is the drum action spring loaded?  I see no knobs or wheel that need to be operated by the user.

Glen
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:54 am »

What a jewel! Those large corner caps and embossing are going to make that machine POP when it's done.  happydrinkers

So is the drum action spring loaded?  I see no knobs or wheel that need to be operated by the user.

The drum is spring loaded and is released by an arm that comes down from the mech to release it. Amazing how this thing works.

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:28:47 am »

Rod, once its finished can you get a short video of how it operates? That would be neat to see. Nice find! I need to get my people to find the right machines for me to pick up. The last one was a VMC-149 for $3500.  jawdrop They wanted $1 per pound!

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:54:20 am »

Wow, that is a neat looking cooler.  It's going to look spectacular restored.

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 06:35:33 pm »

Cool looking ...take a video and upload to YouTube  biggrin
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:34:53 pm »

Great Score Rod...great background story too... makes it even better... can't wait to see it restored.
Thanks for posting!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Jared
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »

great find and story.definitly a keeper
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:43:16 pm »

Why do I get this funny feeling that this machine is going to come out very, very nice. Can't wait.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 06:02:00 am »

Very Cool Machine Rod ! ! !
According to  the literature I saw, it's an "Atlas Junior Electric Simplex" provided yours has electric refrigeration. If my memory serves me, Simplex made the coin mechanism...
And, it appears the porcelain DP sign is in good shape as well ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: