SMC Discussion Areas
May 29, 2024, 04:51:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer-tone paint over galvanized ?  (Read 4501 times)
steven c

« on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:38 pm »

I was wanting to paint over the galvanized inside of my cs-8-64 and some
Of other parts. Will it take well and hold up over time ? Do I need the hammer-tone primer first? Mine has rust at the bottom that I'll remove when I get a chance to do it.

Anyone else have some better ideas and the best way to do it. And if anyone has some pics they can post to give me an idea

Thanks guys,
Steve,

Looking for Walther PP magazine #981029
steven c

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 03:54:33 pm »

Sorry one more question. What is the best way to do it, rattle can or brush it on?

Thanks

krovel
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:35:29 pm »

Ok, I am very new to this so this is what happened to me. I also had rust at the bottom of the tub or inside of my machine. I wired wheeled the rust out and then applied primer and hammertone from a spray can. But the rust came right through on the bottom. It looks pretty good everywhere else that I used it.
On the machine I am currently working on I used POR15 on it first and will go over that with primer and then probably hammertone or something. Just on the bottom of the tub is what I am talking about.
Try not to use just primer and paint on the bottom, you need some type of rust inhibitor, in case it gets damp or wet.
Again, I am very newby at this so hopefully it will help you somehow.

Good luck

Westinghouse WB-60 (single select)
Westinghouse WB102
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:15:41 am »

I don't use hammertone in my tubs as I powder coat them.. much better option if you have that available to you.

but from what I do know other projects I've done is you have to get all the rust out before using the paint, it will come through as mentioned..

I've used a rust inhibitor in the past and that works pretty well too...

Pending how much your going to use the machine, (daily vs a once in a while)... the hammer tone will eventually fail.. and will start to flake off... so be prepared for that.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
steven c

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »

Thanks guys so far for the info, any additional ideas are welcome. I'm not looking for showroom condition, more of a neat glorified beer fridge Smiley the old bottle ones  of that type remind of when I was a kid in the 1970's

Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:51:10 pm »

I sanded my shelves and tub really well, applied a coat of primer for galvanized metal (rustoleum aluminum primer) And used hammertone from a rattle can. For my first attempt at a restoration, the parts came pretty well and it's held up so far.

I only had light surface rust to deal with so that was fixed by the sanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: