SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 01:15:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coke menu sign  (Read 6872 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: May 25, 2014, 01:39:32 am »

Picked this up Friday after work at an antique store. I know it's not the most attractive sign but the reason I bought it is because this sign is supposedly the menu sign that was used at the Council Bluffs Drive-in. I'm still working on trying to confirm that right now but if it's true this would be a pretty special sign because the Council Bluffs Drive-in was the first drive-in theater that I went to (which kind of started the whole drive-in obsession I have. I remember the next day after going there making my own drive-in out of cardboard for my hot wheels cars). Unfortuanely I only was able to go there once before they tore it down and built a google server place (like we really needed that  glare ) and we did not get to go in the snack bar so I don't 100% know if it's from there but I guess even if it's not I still have an interesting piece to add to the home drive-in setup (although I really hope it's from there)

Sarman47
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:49:14 am »

Very nice sign.

Good luck with your research.

Cavalier C1-55D
Cavalier C2-55E    
Westinghouse WB126-B6-D (daily driver)
Vendo 39
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:29:16 am »

Nice.. looks like it's in great shape!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:40:01 am »

I like it

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:57:44 am »

I love drive inn's.  We have one right near our house. My daughter loves when we take her.

mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »

Very nice sign. Good line up too, makes me hungry. I would take off the dollar numbers on everything so it would be just the cents, it will age the sign even more.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 12:51:44 pm »

Nice.. looks like it's in great shape!

Thanks. It is in pretty good shape except for some dust, spider webs and the top piece of wood (or some sort of particle board or something. Haven't figured it out or looked too closely yet) has warped and bowed outward. Not very noticeable though especially since I did not even notice it until after I bought it and was taking it to the car. I actually thought it was supposed to be that way until I noticed the dried up glue on the back side of the wood piece.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »

Little update on the history of the sign. Still don't have a yes or no answer but I emailed one of my teachers who lives in Council Bluffs to see if he knew. Turns out the old owners of the drive-in go to his church so he said he will ask them next time he sees them.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:54:55 pm »

Got an email from my teacher Thursday night with the contact info for the person who used to work at the drive-in. Got an email back from her on Friday and it turns out my sign DID COME FROM THE COUNCIL BLUFFS DRIVE-IN! I am really excited to know for sure that it came from there because that was the first Drive-in theater that I ever went to (which kind of started the whole drive-in addiction) so it makes it a lot more special to me.

Next step is to make a nice stand for it so I can display it without having to put any holes in the wall to hang it (was told NO on hanging it on the wall so I need to make something that sits on the floor and the sign hangs from)
SodaShopNick
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:59 pm »

That's great news.  I always love a good story about the history of an item.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: