SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 12:24:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Picked up a Vendo 44  (Read 7856 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »

Details and pictures to follow.

Tim
vendo39
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:18:44 pm »

Welcome to the club!   happydrinkers  Is it a keeper or Flipper?

Brian

Vendo 39, 44, 56, 81B
Vendo Changer, early
Vendo Changer, late
Dr. Pepper Queen Anne
Nesbitts Ideal 85

Popperette, Stoner JR, Stoner 180,
Stoner Theater, Mills Candy, Canteen Candy
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:38:21 pm »

This one is definitely a keeper. I was beginning to wonder if this machine was still on my list but when I went and saw this one, I had to have it.  I think this will end up being my wife's favorite.  Finding a coin mech will be my first order of business.  It is a nice original survivor.  I am going to start by cleaning it up as most of what you see is dirt and not surface rust.  The cabinet and chrome trim are in great condition and there are only a few small dents on the back.  Also need to order a key from Fun-Tronics but I need to check the ones that I have as I may have that key already.

Here are the pictures.  I will post a few more when I get it cleaned up.  I will also have to take a picture of it next to the big brother VMC-144SA that I have.

drinking Tim drinking
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »

A few more.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 04:41:06 pm »

and two more!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:47:38 pm »

Let's hear the story... where you found it, how you found it.. history?... Great machine! Congrats!! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »

Nice one!  Looks like it has a change giver mech in it, so that's a bonus.  I had one in very similar condition and did a buff on the paint and it came out awesome.  Looks like yours will do the same.

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »

Nice pick up Tim!!!

But your got to get it's big cousin.... a Coke 88 

The 44's to me are great!  They take up SO little floor space, and I have spots all over the mancave to put more 44's!!!  AND the fact that the Mrs in all our lives all seem to like these little pocket rockets  tounge

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »

Nice pick up, congrats

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:10 pm »

The full story?

Well, I was driving through Hillsdale, MI on a business trip and traffic was being diverted down a side street due to construction.  This detour took me past an older warehouse building and I noticed something red and white near the dumpster.  I discovered the shell of a Vendo V-44 but it was missing the rack and coin door.  Later that afternoon, I stopped at the local antiques mall and found all of the missing parts except for the key sitting under a table of telegraph line insulators and old glass milk bottles.  biggrin Cool laugh Honest, it really can happen!

But seriously, I have not been buying much or even looking lately but I tripped across the listing for this machine on CL.  It was an older listing so I was surprised when the guy called me back and told me he still had the machine.  The seller was located just outside of Toledo.  Sorry to the OH guys for venturing into your neighborhood but this is the part of Ohio that was originally part of Michigan until The Toledo War (really! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War).  I figured all is fair in love and war and I was visiting a customer in MI just north of the MI-OH line so I scheduled a trip to see the machine.  The seller is a real nice guy--also named Tim, it must be the name--and it sounded like he had a few people calling him trying to buy it and ship and he did not want to mess with shipping.  He mentioned a guy from Canada--sorry Ed if that was you--and another guy from TN--again, sorry if that was an SMC member.  In any event, I must have been the first person to stop by and see the machine.  He said that he had the machine for a long time--I believe he said 30 years.  He is in the used auto parts and used car business so I am assuming he took it on trade.  He told me he always wanted to get it restored but never got around to it and it was just sitting in his basement game room.  Now he is in the process of down-sizing and selling a lot of items.

I made him a fair offer and he accepted.  The mech was pretty much dismantled by whoever decided to put it to free-vend and it is likely beyond saving so I am in the market for a replacement mech and can hopefully find a change giver like the original.

Next task, move it into the house and get it cleaned up.  The seller told me that the compressor had been disconnected so I was worried that a line had been cut and the system evacuated but it looks to me like the cord was removed and the wires were disconnected at the 3 in 1 switch.  So when I get it cleaned up I will put everything back the way it should be and see if she fires up.

That is about it for now.  I have wanted one of these for a while but figured I would never find one in a price range I could afford.  Sometimes you get lucky and this was one of those times for me.  I may have to change my name to VendoTim.  I now have 2 V-39's, a V-44, a V-81D and a V-110SD

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: