SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 04:44:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't take my dimes  (Read 5063 times)
« on: May 11, 2002, 11:49:19 pm »

I have an old 10 cent vendo machine that was under the porch cover in my back yard for the past 20 years or so and to my surprise and total happiness when I spliced an old extension cord onto its shot wire and plugged it in it works.I oiled it up and mechanically and cold wise it works great. The only problem with it is it wont accept the dimes,it just spits them right back out of the return slot. I can bypass the coin mechanism with the cover off and put the dime in manually so the machine will still turn and operate. Any info on how to fix this problem or old schematics or who I could even send it to for repair would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks Steve
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 06:49:03 pm »

Steve,

To me, it sounds as though a good cleaning of the slug rejector may correct this problem...  However, make & model of the machine and/or coin mech would help...

My six cents,

Jim

audiobeer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2002, 11:01:20 pm »

I had a machine with the same problem. Turns out if I broke out some older heavier dimes it worked fine. Newer thin ones were ignored by the machine!

Missouri
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 02:26:22 am »

Same problem here except it would not take nickles, and they would do the same thing - drain right down through to the coin return.

In my case I used WD40 and it immediately fixed it.  Since then I have heard that in the long run, the WD40 may attract dust, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Nevertheless, to be safe it seems the old hot soapy water trick should work, because the slug rejector is made to work smoothly without any lubrication.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 04:33:41 pm »

silver dimes all the time  it so easy when you know  ':p'
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 11:50:59 pm »

Same here. Bought rolls of 1959 coinage and keep things operating room clean so far so good.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 09:06:43 am »

I believe that the coin mech should work fine with modern dimes.  Since I got mine repaired it has been problem-free.  If a coin-mech will only work with silver dimes, then it has a problem.  I would guess that a slightly worn finger (the piece that slides over the dime and is connected to an arm that unlocks the crank) could cause that.  

The finger on my machine had to be built up with some silver solder, so that the coin would engage it earlier than it had been before.  My finger was worn, and when you pushed the crank down it would stay locked because the finger had not "lifted" enough to unlock it.  It was a catch-22.

Here is a "rough" diagram of how the Vendo coin mechs operate with a dime.  The crank has a small amount of free play so that it can turn slightly before the lock engages.  This allows the dime coin carriage to slide to the left slightly, lift the finger, and unlock the crank so that it can continue turning, and the dime continues sliding to the left, and finally drops down into the chute.  If there is no dime there, the crnk still turns slightly, but the lock engages and there is nothing there to lift the finger, so it stays locked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: