SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 10:16:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson in trust  (Read 11950 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:57 pm »

So I've posted on here about my lamp business on Etsy and have heard back from a few folks, even sold a lamp to a member!  I've had a couple members inquire about how I connect my insulators to the lamps.  Normally, I would never give out that information since it has cost me hundreds of dollars in parts and countless hours to figure out the perfect combo.  That being said, the advice and help I've gotten on this site has helped me to the point where I was willing to trust the members here with my ideas.

That being said, I was contacted by a long-time board member asking for a how-to so they could build a lamp for their son.  Sounded like a great project, and I love the idea of any kind of engineering project with a kid, so I was more than willing to share my design with them.  I provided instructions and some photos of how I set stuff up.

Well this week I find another new shop on Etsy that has direct ripoffs of one of my lamp designs as well as my business card holders.  It only took a tiny bit of research to figure out it was the wife of said member that was building these.  Pretty messed up.  I get that my designs aren't patented or copyrighted, but the fact that a member of SMC would deceive me and copy my designs really floors me. 

I won't hold back, I'm pissed off and more than that it hurts that I would be wronged by someone who I thought I could trust.  Important business lesson learned though.  darn darn darn darn darn darn darn

cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »

That sucks when a good deed is followed up by getting screwed by the person you were trying to help.  Just keep doing what you are doing they will get theirs in the end.  By the way I am planning to buy a lamp from you in the near future I like your designs.

Greg
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:50 am »

Welcome to my world, I had to stop posting pictures of the machines I design and other things I do for that very reason but it's life I guess and when friends do you wrong as my so called old friend did to me not so long ago, it just SUCKS! but keep up the good work you do, your stuff looks great!

Curtis Kauffman
Memory Lane Restorations/www.retrovending.com
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:38:45 am »

Tkaz, with all due respect... hate to hear about your bad business experience but this forum is no place to vent your anger towards another member. Send them a PM or call them directly. This site and forum is about soda machines and the like and sharing information about the hobby. Your situation is just part of doing business and we've all been there. Lets try and keep things positive and encourage one another in this hobby. We have enough negative news on TV theses days!

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:13:27 am »

Wow... hate to hear that... You do really good work and have great ideas... sad that this happened to you
and even more sad when you think someone is your friend and they take advantage of your kindness.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 07:41:41 am »

Several years ago in the early days of computer, a friend of mine posted some information online about my Coke machines, but used a photo from someone elses website.
        It only took 1 call from that person, for me to quickly have that photo removed. I was embarassed and really meant no harm.

Glen
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:20 am »

What kind of lamps do you make / sell?

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:12:11 am »

If you click the link at the bottom of his post it takes you to his store page.

Greg
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:31 am »

Ahhh ok.... thanks

Nice lamps..... I like the re-use of one thing to make another.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:52 am »

It's in general chat and has a link to the message board, although not directly, so I think the post is ok.

Imitation is supposed to be flattery, but no good deed goes unpunished.

I have a bunch of those insulators and I thought about building a couple of those, but I would never have gone on esty with it!! Don't worry, I realized I'm just not that motivated! I'm ethical enough I wouldn't have asked for your help to rip your process off to be direct competition in your marketplace.

It's a good reminder to all, although it's a community in here, friends and friendly are 2 different concepts. 

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: