SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:15:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Pickers  (Read 9884 times)
cola62
Soda Jerks

« on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:37 am »

Anyone see the new American Pickers last night?  It was strange.  They were offered a $60,000 (10%) commission to fly to Italy to buy a rare car for a guy for $600,000.  They get there and the guy doesn't want to sell the car.  So now they are out the commission and all the expenses they paid to get to Italy.   I know its all fantasy but who fly's halfway around the world to buy something without checking with the seller to see if he really is willing to sell.  In this case the guys father who really owned the car said he wouldn't sell at any price.  For me, these story lines they make up just make the shows seem stupid.   

Greg
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:33:27 am »

Yeah.....seemed a little weird to travel 1/2 way around the world with no info on seller at all, and who the hell was that translator?  Seemed like a better drinking buddy than negotiator, half the time he forgot who he was working for.  To even step foot on a plane without knowing where in the negotiation stage they were was a real rookie move, so they're a combination of one of three 1) too trusting 2) morons 3) fake.........all three make for good TV but they really came off as a couple of rubes........"Lucky" they were able to track down that rare bike though!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:05:30 pm by Jacko1070 » Logged
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:10:20 pm »

I'm convinced all those shows are fake. Watch carefully, they reek of over-production. I'd say these shows are more heavily produced than regular TV.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »

I have determined that there is more "reality" going on with the original Star Trek episodes.  Don't watchem anymore.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:28:10 pm »

Can we all agree that this is where Amrican Pickers has "Jumped The Shark"?

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:34:31 pm »

Of course it is fake
My friend was on one episode and they did this big thing about "freestyling" and finding him
The site was scouted, there for 1 week, loaded stuff in van then took it out and put it in a ryder truck

How could it make sense for them to drive 1000 miles and buy $200 bucks worth of stuff

And those stupid waves goodbye after they rip the people off- Ahhhhhh

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
200Gumball Machines- I have a sickness
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:42 pm »

Ed,

Great analogy "jumped the shark"  the end of one of my all time favorite shows  "Happy Days".  I am really disappointed in the show.  It was good for a while.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 03:12:23 pm »

Technically its not jumping the shark if you dont come down - Supernatural

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 03:20:57 pm »

The Term has been stated already.. "Over Produced".

every Tv show is produced, and these shows have to be produced to keep them interesting.

Other things come to mind,  Fishing shows, and Pro Wrestling.

Do you really think they catch that many fish and the quantity in the 30 minutes the show lasts.. and wrestling, sure it's all set up , but it still takes some skill to pull off the moves.

imagine if they didn't produce this stuff,, the shows would get really boring fast just following the guys around and one out of 15 stops they make they find an unique item..

so watch them knowing that they are taking a concept,  "Picking" which does exist and people have been doing it for Many Many years before a TV show came along, and they are enhancing it to make it more watchable..

same with fishing, we've all done it but who is going to watch a fishing show where they catch one fish..  and lets face it .. regular greko style or whatever you call it is kinda boring, more entertaining when you jump off the top turnbuckle with a chair! biggrin glare

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

John, good points.

I like the wrestling analogy (my  friend is a WWE wrestler now for almost 7 years.... Santino Marella) and yes it's fake, but they get injured more than real athletes do believe it or not.
But like wrestling, we all know these shows are fake, but we like watching for the things they show (divas lol) and the rare items they may dig up here and there.

Brian... I didn't think many here would catch my Happy Days reference lol.  I guess that shows our age  laugh

I must admit that I like watching American Pickers... but I have to watch it alone as my wife can't stand the way Mike talks about RUSTY GOLD, or watch Frank buy another toy, oil can or chainsaw sign lol.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: