SMC Discussion Areas
July 16, 2024, 06:54:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting a want ad on craigslist.  (Read 6809 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:11 pm »

Has anyone here had success posting a want ad on craigslist? I've been thinking about it, but there are so many scammers out there, and they seem to adore craigslist.
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:39:22 am »

I found my Jacobs 56 and Stoner 180 on craigs list

Jacobs56(2)
Cavalier 54
Cavalier 72
Cavalier 51
Vendo 44
VMC 27
VMC 33
Glasco Slider
Vendo 110
Stoner Candy Machine
200Gumball Machines- I have a sickness
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:30 am »

I have never posted a want ad--i.e. "Wanted--vintage soda and candy machines.  Will pay top dollar--cash waiting!"  I have seen those types of ads but never responded to any of them and I question there efficacy.  I do know that a lot of my clients use CL as part of their tool box for recruiting new employees.

I have bought and sold most all of my machines (too many to count at this point) on CL.  The key is not listing your phone number and requiring the interested party to respond to you with a phone number so you control the contact.  The scammers will pretty much send you emails that will become real easy to spot glare once you start to get a few.  I see a lot of ads where people ask you to put certain words or phrases in the subject line of your email.  That is because the scammers are generally using automated programs to respond to CL ads.  Serious buyers on CL will generally send you an email telling you they are interested, would like to see the item and include a phone number.  If they are like me, they are then waiting by the phone for that call back!  tounge  That is what I always do and I generally get a call back.

My copyrighted (patent pending) rules for buying on CL:

1.  Email the seller expressing your interest and include your email and phone number so the seller has multiple ways to reach you.
2.  Do not ask if the item is still available--if the ad is up it should be.  Shame on the seller if it is sold and he has not pulled the ad.
3.  When you make an appointment to see an item, be on time and let the seller know what you will be driving.  That way he knows who is pulling in his driveway.  Remember his guard is up because he does not know you and you don't know him.
4.  I tend not to meet with sellers by myself unless it is absolutely necessary--you never know what the other party's intentions are.  Hate to sound paranoid but I learned a long time ago that trust is earned and if I don't know you, you have not earned my trust.
5.  If I have someone with me, I usually have them stay in the car with cell phone handy in the event that something goes sideways.
6.  If I am alone, I tell someone where I am going (address etc.) and I leave my money hidden in the car until I have inspected the item and made a deal.  I keep my cell phone handy as well.
7.  Bring hand truck/four wheel cart/appliance dolly and moving blankets so you can cash and carry.  The item may not be there when you come back.  I keep basic loading tools and gloves in my car all the time.
8.  If you make a deal on CL it should be cash upon pick up--no exceptions.

My copyrighted (patent pending) rules for selling on CL:

1.  Give an honest description of the item that you are selling.  Seriously, you are only going to tick off veryangry potential buyers if you misrepresent the item and they drive out to your place to see it.
2.  Include several good, clear pictures.  For example if selling a soda machine, include pictures of all sides and inside and out--including the warts.  That will save you time from people requesting more pictures via email.  I don't usually ask for photos if I can make a decent assessment of the item from the pictures in the ad because I am going to look it over when I go see it anyway.  Remember  Please post photos!
3.  If you are firm on your price--indicate FIRM in your ad as that will save you some headaches with the LOW-BALLERS.
4.  If you are not FIRM on your price there is no point in putting "NO LOWBALLERS" in your ad because you will get them due to the fact that CL is basically an electronic garage sale and who doesn't haggle at a garage sale?  Plus we may make fun of your ad on SMC!  tounge
5.  Do your homework and price your item appropriately.  You will know pretty quickly if you have it priced correctly because you will get immediate activity.  And if you have it priced too high, we may make fun of your ad on SMC!  tounge
6.  Pricing too high leads to re-posting of the ad with a price cut and puts you in a weaker negotiating position with the LOW-BALLERS because they have been watching your price cuts.  It is like the signs that you see on a house for sale that says "Price Reduced".  If I am buying that house, I now know that the house has been on the market a while and the seller is likely getting desperate.  I am automatically going to LOW-BALL the offer because if he cut the price once he will likely cut it again.
7.  If you price something too high and it does not sell.  It is better to pull the ad for a while and come back with a new ad and different price down the road.  Even change the pictures so it looks like a new listing for an item.  Why--see #6.
8.  When you make an appointment with a buyer, ask them what time they will be there and what they will be driving so you know who is pulling in your driveway.
9.  I tend not to meet with buyers by myself unless it is absolutely necessary--you never know what the other party's intentions are.  Hate to sound paranoid but I learned a long time ago that trust is earned and if I don't know you, you have not earned my trust.
10.  Have the item accessible and preferrably not inside your house.  I usually move machines I am selling into my garage so I can bring them out in the driveway where the meeting with the potential buyer will be visible to my neighbors.  Plus, there is no point in allowing strangers inside your home.  Basic safety issue.
11.  If you make a deal on CL it should be cash upon pick up--no exceptions.
12.  Be prepared to help load the item if you are physically able.
13.  Most importantly--When the item is sold, please pull down the ad. hopefull

All in all, regardless of the scammers, I have had great luck buying and selling on CL. Come to think of it, I am going to expand on the above rules and make it into a little booklet!  Then I will create an infomercial about buying and selling items on the internet and for just five easy payments of $19.99 you can get my information that others have paid thousands for!  But wait, there is more . . . . . . . . I guess I don't want to end up like Don Lapre!

Good luck!  What are you selling?  Will you take half of your asking price?  biggrin Cool laugh

drinking Tim drinking
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:44:11 pm by mznb1u » Logged
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:26 am »

Great advice Tim...I buy/sell all my machines thru CL or word of mouth. No fee-bay for me unless I'm buying only.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »

I would like to add-

If the ad says something along the lines of "what do you have to trade?", leave it alone. Especially if the "seller" won't provide an alternative cash price.
If the "seller" refuses to list specific items they're interested in, you're wasting your time. You will almost certainly not have what the seller would want, and
they will let you know the trade is undesirable in no uncertain terms.

I had a lead on a machine, no pictures with the ad. The "seller" was looking for a trade, did not give a cash price, or indicate what he wanted in the way of a trade. So I e-mail and ask for some pictures.  It looked decent on the outside, hard to tell on inside. Ask for more pictures, and ask "seller" does he have any specific trade in mind? He sends the pictures and basically repeats the line, what do you have?

I should have forgot it then, but I suggested a trade, sent a picture, and asked to see a better picture of the inside. His refusal indicated that not only was the item not what he wanted, it wasn't even "good enough". He did not send any more pictures like I had asked, and I haven't heard from him since.

In any event, I wasn't about to play "twenty questions" trying to figure out something that would suit. It was entirely his prerogative to refuse the trade, but he didn't have to act so rude about it. Had he not been so undiplomatic in his refusal, I might have asked him about just buying it.

People just get me anymore.  darn
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »

"What do I have to trade?"...............I have green dollar bills, how many do you need?

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:35 pm »

He didn't price it. I suppose I should have asked him about it at the start, but I figured there was some reason he didn't put a cash price on it. It was a 96 anyway, so I'm not too upset about not getting it.
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:22:05 pm »

I like those rules. Well said Tim.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »

I post want ads often on Craigslist, you'd be surprised how many good leads I get on stuff.  Mostly looking for glass insulator collections and some random other stuff.  I got sick of my Coke machines ad because people kept sending me newer push button stuff.

I also try to check the wanted section to see if I can help anyone out.  I call it 'Craigslist Karma', it always seems that right after I help someone out or give stuff away for free, a great deal on a Coke machine or something pops up!

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »

I'm not dead set against push buttons in theory, I even wanted one the first time I started looking for machines. I've learned though that they're not practical for someone who doesn't mean to use them commercially. Most of them are not well regarded by collectors, meaning one would have to deal with a vending company for parts, or they're not available at all. I don't think the soda companies want vending suppliers dealing with people on newer personal-use machines.

If I posted a want ad, I'd be very specific, even including an example photo. I'm sure it wouldn't eliminate offers of push button machines, but maybe reduce them.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: