SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 11:46:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 amp or 30amp  (Read 32085 times)
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »

I looked up your location on your profile and see your from Alabama, very humid I bet.

I'm going to also assume that your lamp and radio are always outside plugged in, day and night. The first thing I would recommend is that you get rid of both, in those humid conditions and rainy weather, devices not rated for outdoor use will corrode inside, ie sockets, control boards which can lead to a ground fault failure. This is most likely to happen at night from the dew. It doesn't matter if the device is on or off, a ground fault can be caused by water forming a connection between the neutral and ground of your device.

Also since your recepts have been open to the weather for along time you could have corrosion and or moisture inside causing the same failure, I would replace both the front and back recept and install an in-use cover, the new type.

I also think your GFCI breaker is fine, it's doing what it's supposed to, we have very little trouble with GFCI breakers unlike GFCI recepts which fail faster than CFL light bulbs. biggrin

I think your Vendo is fine, but you should run an amp check on it to see what it is pulling, you could have a semi-locked up compressor which has a bad spot and only catches occasionally, even it it did lock up your overload should go out before the breaker.
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

I looked up your location on your profile and see your from Alabama, very humid I bet.

I'm going to also assume that your lamp and radio are always outside plugged in, day and night. The first thing I would recommend is that you get rid of both, in those humid conditions and rainy weather, devices not rated for outdoor use will corrode inside, ie sockets, control boards which can lead to a ground fault failure. This is most likely to happen at night from the dew. It doesn't matter if the device is on or off, a ground fault can be caused by water forming a connection between the neutral and ground of your device.

Also since your recepts have been open to the weather for along time you could have corrosion and or moisture inside causing the same failure, I would replace both the front and back recept and install an in-use cover, the new type.

I also think your GFCI breaker is fine, it's doing what it's supposed to, we have very little trouble with GFCI breakers unlike GFCI recepts which fail faster than CFL light bulbs. biggrin

I think your Vendo is fine, but you should run an amp check on it to see what it is pulling, you could have a semi-locked up compressor which has a bad spot and only catches occasionally, even it it did lock up your overload should go out before the breaker.

Yes,,both radio plugged in beside Vendo stays plugged in and is used. The lamp plugged in on front is not rated for outside and does stay plugged in also and both covers stay open even one not is use has been open for some time. The house was built in 1995 and all outside receps. look pretty rough even thought not exposed to rain or anything else and am sure it wouldn't hurt at all to replace. They are also not secured very well to brick.
Thank you for your information and help. Very much appreciate everyone's input and am going to backtrack and get some of the list down that JohnieG shared on the amp pull and others. Thanks to all for you input.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:40 pm »

So in a summary,

1. Remove the radio and lamp and see what happens. you can just unplug them.
2. If it trips again, replace both recepts and covers.
3. If it trips again, replace bath recepts. Any recept on this circuit subject to moisture could trip the GFCI.
4. Only as a last resort would I replace the breaker, $40 depending on what brand panel you have.   Push-matic or Federal Pacific don't even ask. darn darn

The only thing rated for outdoor use there is the Vendo 63. biggrin biggrin  That's why I'm sure it's fine.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:40:18 pm by stuntpilot » Logged
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »

If your outside recepts are loose and looking pretty bad since they have been open forever, I can guarantee that's your problem. They need to be closed whenever possible.
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »

So in a summary,

1. Remove the radio and lamp and see what happens. you can just unplug them.
2. If it trips again, replace both recepts and covers.
3. If it trips again, replace bath recepts. Any recept on this circuit subject to moisture could trip the GFCI.
4. Only as a last resort would I replace the breaker, $40 depending on what brand panel you have.   Push-matic or Federal Pacific don't even ask. darn darn

The only thing rated for outdoor use there is the Vendo 63. biggrin biggrin  That's why I'm sure it's fine.

Thanks for the information..have unplugged and plan on getting two new receps. for outside. Yes,,,the Vendo is for outdoor use according to label. Thanks again and will get back with everyone on results.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 04:38:14 pm »

Thanks for the information..have unplugged and plan on getting two new receps. for outside. Yes,,,the Vendo is for outdoor use according to label. Thanks again and will get back with everyone on results.

You must have found the nameplate, what does the amp draw say?
Post some pictures if you can. I would like to see those recepts on the outside.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:40:14 pm by stuntpilot » Logged
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »

You must have found the nameplate, what does the amp draw say?
Post some pictures if you can.

no,,not the metal plate. This is on  paper sticker inside coin door.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 04:47:57 pm »

This is what I'm talking about for an in use cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherproof-Single-Outlet-Cover-Outdoor-Receptacle-Protector-3-1-Fast-Shipping-/171071312587
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2013, 05:17:25 am »

This would be my favorite in use cover, low profile and looks good. Available at Menards and most electrical wholesale houses.

http://www.taymac.com/products/plastic_covers/low_profile_in-use
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:19:05 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »

The biggest problem is that you have a GFCI breaker, not GFCI receptacles. There has been a lot of problems with the GFCI breakers over the years that why everyone is going to the GFCI receptacles. The GFCI breakers that are used today are for dedicated circuits only, such as hot tubs, whirlpools etc.

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up