SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 05:15:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Jukebox  (Read 8534 times)
Aahgo

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »

Figured out the front door removal, that was pretty straightforward.  Haven't tried to remove the glass yet because I was on my own.  Does the mechanism become too exposed with the glass dome off, don't want to inadvertently damage other components.  What was your experience with your Empress?

Thanks,
Glenn
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »

I just had to pop upstairs to the bedroom to have a look at the Empress. I've had her since before the kids came along. My oldest is now 13. She has been up and down flights of stairs and in my old house I had to strip her back to get her up a spiral staircase. She has always behaved very well. Could now do with a service as there is a intermittent problem with selection. The motor dies for a second or two and then restarts. Once I find some spare money I'll get that sorted.

I also have a Wurly 1900 and for looks you can't beat it. Overall I prefer the Wurly. But it is a very close run thing. I think the Empress is the best looking of the Rockolas of that period but then I am a little biased.

Here in the UK Rockola is big... I've had a Seeburg too and that was very hard to give up.

Right, getting the doom off. If you look at the bracket attached to the dome assembly you will have two screws on the outside and a bolt that can be undone from the inside. You'll need it fully extended to remove the inside bolt hence the required help. Once they are undone and the dome rest uncliped along with light plugs it should come away easily.

The record holding carousel will be exposed but unless you intend turning it on its head it should not be a problem.

good luck and please keep in mind that the dome and all its accompanying frame is heavy so don't go doing this on your own.

Dave
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:20:30 pm »

Nice looking machine... really like the ones that show the records actually playing
Good luck with your move!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Aahgo

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »

Whew!  Got it down, but it was pretty hairy there for a while. 

Now to get started on her.  It's a little intimidating though, If this was a pinball I would know exactly how to proceed with that.  I have a service manual, but is there a beginners guide to restoring a jukebox?  Something on-line would be great, but purchasing a guide would be okay too if there's a good one.

Thanks,
Glenn
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: