SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 08:32:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring in a Power Cord  (Read 16460 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:11 am »

It is not advisable to use regular power cord and add the plug to it for outdoor use, as it will not be water resistant
I doubt I ever have that many machines I would use outdoors. Too much risk of abuse and theft. I wouldn't use a add-on plug either way. I've seen them, and I don't think they're very robust, especially if I tried to put one together.  biggrin

Your original idea of cutting an extension cord was ok but like the Pilot said, needless extra connections.
I don't suppose it really adds much to a machine that is meant to remain in place for years. Wiring a stub cord with male plug would probably be the most useful if the machine is handled in ways that increase the chance of the cord being damaged. Like if it is moved around a lot, or left where rats can get at the wiring. Though a stub cord won't help much if rats chew on more than just the power cord.  darn

After installing a power cord, always clamp a section of it to the compressor base to absorb the strain of a hard pull against your connections.

If a stub cord is used, it should be long enough to have strain relief like described above, shouldn't it?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »

No stub, splice in a full 6 or 8 foot length.

Glen
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:03:04 pm »

You should already have the strain relief on the deck I hope.

Cord caps are just fine if you have the confidence to build one, and used under the proper in-use cover will be weather tight.
All outdoor receptacles should be GFI protected and employ an in-use cover, even a sealed cord without an in-use cover is trouble waiting to happen.
kdog
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 06:16:38 am »

Are wiring harnesses bought from FunTronics able to be used in Australia (240V)??

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 07:33:09 am »

You need to check the maximum working voltage rating on the cord jacket, typically a 120 volt  rated cord-set is listed at 300 volts max.  Which in theory would be within limits for 240 volt power taking into account the cord plug itself is different down under of course.

The cord-sets wire gauge won’t be a problem insofar as your voltage will double but the current will halve ( as compared to U.S.A. wattage requirements )

In my industrial controls work,  the working voltage of the wiring  is at least double the applied voltage, ( example; 300 volts for 120 vokt circuits & 600 volts for 480 volts circuits, etc. )

My shop 240 volt extention cord says “ 300 volts max applied voltage “

Hope this helps...

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
kdog
5 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 07:46:50 am »

sorry, still confused.

Let me ask something that would negate the need for a new harness.  Would I have to remove the compressor from the machine to have it rewired?  Because if so, then I'll have to wait til the wires melt Sad
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 11:41:48 am »

Gotcha, keep it simple Simon...

In short ( no pun intended) The Funtronic’s harness will work on your machine, but you’ll have to lopp off the US male plug end & wire on an Australia type -I plug ( picture attached for others to understand).  Assuming that everything on it ie: compressor, fan motors,  coinmech are 230 volts..

& Yes, you should be able to rewire the machine as it sits no disassembly required , although some spots will be tight to get to.

The Color code of the wires willbe a little different

Black = Brown
White= Blue
Green = green/yellow ( earth)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:53:03 am by johnieG » Logged

11 is louder than 10...
kdog
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »

So while spec-wise is should handle 240v, has anyone tried a funtronics harness in an Australian compressor?  I assume that Aus and US compressors have same connections etc, but that is just a guess.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 05:07:33 pm »

So while spec-wise is should handle 240v, has anyone tried a funtronics harness in an Australian compressor?  I assume that Aus and US compressors have same connections etc, but that is just a guess.

Yes, they both have two wires connecting the harness to the compressor via the compressor pigtail/plug, the only difference is the operating voltage...

11 is louder than 10...
sjt1803

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:30 pm »

If your concerned if the wiring from the US will work, in theory assuming the compressor offers the same load, as the 120 version, the wiring should have to handle only 1/2 the current it was designed for. The current draw on the the other items, motors and changer are insignificant compared to the compressor.

You can also rewire the harness wire for wire with the exact wire used, from a local electrical supplier.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: