SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 08:03:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie wire gauge question  (Read 2522 times)
boss
5 Cent Member

Cautiously Optimistic

« on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:10 am »

I've ordered a new compressor with wiring harness for my Cavalier USS-8-64K from Eric at Global Compressors (seems like a great guy).  I'm considering rewiring some other parts of the machine.  Two quick questions:

1)  What gauge wire should I use (14 looks about right when I eyeball it).
2)  several wires are wrapped in a rubber tubing (almost looks like surgical tubing).  What's the best thing to replace that with?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fresh, not from concentrate.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »

16 gauge is more than adequate for the majority of the circuits in the Cavalier 64 series machines, but I prefer to use 14 gauge with a ground (earth) on the main power cord. just use wire rated for at least 300 volts ( double your working voltage basically) do NOT use automotive style "primary" or " trailer" wire, it is only rated for 75 volts & the plastic will melt & soften at a much lower temperatures than the proper wire type, plus it presents a shock hazard.

The tubing is just used as a wire loom to keep the bundle neat & tidy & prevent any stray wires from getting caught in a door or snagged.  If you're not total into keeping it looking original, you can use a single color of wire & wire tag/ID each end.  

Most of the time the wires just need a good cleaning to look new, I use denatured alcohol on a terry cloth rag & wipe them down to remove the years of grime & grease & sticky Coke syrup ( with the power off of course)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:33:00 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
boss
5 Cent Member

Cautiously Optimistic

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:55:41 pm »

Great info. Thanks.

Fresh, not from concentrate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: