SMC Discussion Areas
October 06, 2024, 02:31:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaker pole  (Read 17293 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:26 pm »

After 3 years I finally got some speaker poles made. Started with the two speakers from the I-70 drive-in in Kansas City which I bought replacement parts from the original manufacturer. After I got those working I bought a junction box from the Starlite Drive-in in Neligh Nebraska and then for about a year I did nothing with them. I then got two more speakers that came from the Council Bluffs Drive-in (which was really cool since that was the first drive-in theater that I ever went to and they tore it down right after I went there) and I decided that those should go on the other junction box so I swapped them out and went on a search for another junction box. Contacted the I-70 and was told no but got a tour of the projection booth instead and then the following year I asked again and was told yes and got one of the Simplex junction boxes with the plastic colored dome on top. Bought some new parts for that and then everything sat for another year until today when I finally got the parts together and had a local gas station weld it for me. The weld is not perfect but I think it will hold and I can hide that once I paint it but they only charged me 30 bucks to weld both stands so I can't complain. Especially since the other places around town wanted 30-100 dollars to just weld up one. I plan to paint a small picture of the sign from each drive-in that the speakers came from on the base and I also got a cheap paint brush to paint the pole with so I can get the brush strokes (trying to make it just like the drive-in poles biggrin ) will post some more pics once I get it painted and wired up. Might even see about getting the light in the boxes to work again.

sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:52 pm »

Is the car part of the staged retro look? Kidding. Nice job on that. It will look even more awesome all painted up. I love the old drive in stuff and the memories it brings back.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »

Speaks and car look great.
Creighton
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:19:50 am »

great display... is that blue dome a light in the middle? Nice set up! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:23:35 pm »

Is the car part of the staged retro look? Kidding. Nice job on that. It will look even more awesome all painted up. I love the old drive in stuff and the memories it brings back.

Haha no I was actually seeing if they were the right height by comparing this to a picture I took at the last time I visited the drive-in. This pole needs just a few inches taken off of it since it's a little too high.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »

great display... is that blue dome a light in the middle? Nice set up! happydrinkers

I think at one time it was. Have not had the top of that box off for a while so I don't remember if there was a light socket in there or not. I'll mess around with it when I go to wire it up and see. It's actually one of these boxes here

cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »

If that lit up it would look really cool.

Greg
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »

We still have a drive in not to far from me but with no speaker poles it just don't seem the same. Just tune it into your radio but the grand kids love it

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

I agree if it lit up it would look sweet.

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
SLIDER
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 01:10:23 am »

Count me in too!!  Got to get that light working!!  Looks awesome, cant wait to see your finished pictures....
Lucky we still have a few drive-ins left that are unmolested from the 50s.  Make at least one trip per summer.

S & S 700 Royal Crown Chest
 Ideal 55 slider 7 Up
Silver King Hot nut vendor
Tokheim 39 "highboy" GULF NO-NOX gas pump
Watling penny Scale
 Popcorn sez machine
 Du Grainer candy bar & Gum Machine
 Wurlitzer 1400 Jukebox and wall box
 Exhibit Mystery PinBall
 Bally Gayetey Bingo
National
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up