SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 06:58:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a little feedback...  (Read 8836 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« on: July 29, 2013, 08:36:50 am »

Hey everyone,

I was thinking, which usually becomes be a bad thing, the other day about U-Select-It machines and how so many I've seen do not have bases...
I have two versions, pictured below, and wanted to poll the members to see if there is a need to reproduce a few of these bases...

I haven't asked for a quote from anyone yet; just want to ask here to see what a fair price for a reproduction base would be to encourage an order, then I would know if the quoted price will be within our budget... Rumor has it, these have been reproduced in the past, but I do not know what they sold for at that time... I am thinking a selling price somewhere around $250 may be affordable to those that may need one, but the "tan base" pictured may be a little more complex to fabricate thus a slight cost difference between the two bases...

Any suggestions, feedback or concerns are welcome!
Thanks for you time and input!

My six cents,

Jim

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:50:08 am »

I would think there would be a market if you could keep it in that 250 range for a nice quality reproduction...

I've looked into having them reproduced and I was being quited 450-500 each? which was astronomical and I didn't do it...

I was told making and bending the rounded corners in the front was the challenge,, but of course that could have just been a challenge to the shop I was getting quotes from .. others may have the proper tools to make.

I would think the only one needed to produce and the one more sought after is the stand on the left.. the one of the right was for the larger machine where part if it actually sat down into the base.. but I have never seen one of those larger machines without it's base... whereas the other one was easier to take off or add to it.

Good luck on your efforts.. I'll be curios to find out what you come up with.

John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:35 am »

Are they found without stands because they could be ordered that way? Seems a little heavy for a wall hanger.

I have never owned one but you asked for input. I have always thought these were nice because they save space,
 but they're so skinny it looks like one would tip on a soft carpet.

I am always for original reproductions but if the base were made a little wider, I think the machine would have a more balanced look.

Glen
jbrumett
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:13 am »

Jim,

Just bought a U select and I am in need of a base (the one on the left to be exact). If you pursue this please let me know as I am interested. I am going to check with my local fabricator to see what the cost might be with him as well.

Will be in touch....

Jeff

Pepsi 81, 7up 81, Generic 81
Vendo Milk & Ice Cream
2 Stoner Theaters, Cigarette, Pastry, Cafe 500
Minit Pop, Popcorn Sez, You'll Like It
U Select It
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:40 am »

Glen it's amazing that they are not as tippy as they would appear... I thought the same and the bases are original pretty heavy duty and help balance the weight..

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:52 am »

Ihad three uselect its.  One new square one with a base, one wall mount, and one old one with the base.  The two that I had with the bases were like how John mentioned.  The candy belt assembly went down into the base.  There is no way that machine would be sold without a base.  If you were to make a base, the one on the left would be the only way to go.

A lot of stuff.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:33:32 pm »

I was asked yesterday to look into making one for a friend.  The best price he had been quoted was $750.  I think it would be a great item to have. I see the U-Select machines far to often without stands!

Jared
TomFromJersey
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »

Jim from Northland Jukebox reproduced the base several years ago.
  TFJ

Grapette Quickold Standard
AMI I200 AMI H200
Wurlitzer 61, 600, 700, 750, 800, 1080, 2100
Packard Musical Bar
Chicago Coin BandBox
15 remote speakers and counting
A bunch of Grapette stuff
Some really cool vending machines
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 08:28:25 am »

Jim from Northland Jukebox reproduced the base several years ago.
  TFJ

I've asked him a year or so ago and he either is not doing them any longer or I personally think he just does them for his restorations and doesn't sell to others? just my two cents?

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »

Update:
I may move forward with this project provided I have some interest...
I will have a final price quote by the end of this week; preliminary pricing for 6 or more was just over $220. Unfortunately, it isn't as reasonable as I was hoping in order to keep the price at or around $250... I was hoping to be able to make a little profit for time & efforts...  I'm not even sure about shipping fees yet...
Again, I am at the mercy of the members to see if this will help some of you out and more importantly, will fit into budgets...
Thanks for any and all input/suggestions!

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: