SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 01:54:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You guys oppsed to doing this..?  (Read 5968 times)
Detroit Dave
10 Cent Member

« on: July 27, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

Just wondering. A few coolers are around here but nothing in them..thought it might be cool to do.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:32:44 pm »

No issues here, I used a shell to make my smoker stand...I like the repurpose of these and this was a fun project

mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:02:03 pm »

I like the chair, with the larger coolers we've seen both a loveseat and couch.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:24 pm »

Are we opposed? Heck no,but Coca Cola sure is!

I used to make couches from the large coolers that were otherwise headed for the dump, and sell them from my shop in California.
But as soon as I advertised online, I received a visit from the Coca Cola police, in person from Atlanta. They served me a notice in writing that stated they could sue me for $10,000 if I 'sell' this couch. (Trademark infringement).

They would have no problem with me restoring and selling it as a cooler, but once it is modified like a couch or trailer they get pissed.

No problem either for Joe citizen to make one for himself , he just can't legally sell it.

If I were a shareholder in the Coca Cola company, I would be delighted to see these sitting in as many homes as possible.       

Glen
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 11:22:25 pm »

That really Sucks....how is it any different say if you brought a Ford pickup and turned the Ford embossed tail gate into a table and sold it?  Is Ford going to come after you..... Rick's Restorations does with the same with the Coke coolers... are they going after him as well?

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:47:13 pm »

I think anything that keeps them from ending up in the scrapyard is positive.  Different strokes for different folks.  If you prefer to make an old cooler into a chair rather than restore it as a cooler then I say go for it.  I'd love to have a cooler couch for the rec room, don't necessarily want the Coke police showing up though.  Guess I'll have to set up a back alley purchase.   smile

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:48:53 pm »

I talked to a guy in Rhode Island that had his letter framed!!! His attorney told him there was nothing coke could do, technically, but you could easily be hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees fighting their lawsuit. He stopped!

When looking into it, his attorney said that someone had sued Coke after cutting their hand on one of these and they were out a lot in legal fees. Now they can say they told them not to.

Tim
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »

When looking into it, his attorney said that someone had sued Coke after cutting their hand on one of these and they were out a lot in legal fees. Now they can say they told them not to.

When I read this thread last night. My first thought was Coca Cola being greedy. My second thought was "they're scared of getting blamed for someone getting hurt on this stuff." Sure enough, I was right.

That's a shame. Ambulance chasers spoiling the fun.  down

"Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt."

Check out this pickup ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OtbXmu9kg

0:25 - "Dramatization....." Really?  tounge Oh WOW, I never would have guessed it was fake.  darn

They always show a vehicle with MORE options than the base, even if those features aren't always obvious in the commercial, they insist on letting you know it's not the  base package. I know why such disclaimers are there, but this constant insult by corporate lawyers of my intelligence is wearing kinda thin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:07:44 pm by Pixel » Logged
Detroit Dave
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 05:40:22 pm »

Hmm..what I don't understand is...I see SO  many of these on Ebay..Craigslist and several other sites...I have even seen 3 that are listed as trailers for sale.Does Coke fly a lawyer all over to put a stop to them selling them..? I mean you own the cooler outright don't you.? Cant you just say in your ad.." Can be used as a cooler..if modified" ? Moondawg..how do you make one into a couch or chair.? Complicated..?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 05:56:06 pm »

Remove the liner, cut 1 side out. Make plywood seat, back and 2 sides. Cut 4 " foam  for each piece of plywood and cover them with vinyl

Glen
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: