SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 11:57:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75-9800 a  (Read 3900 times)
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« on: January 03, 2005, 10:34:53 pm »

Hello

I  just received a 75-9800A I purchased on Ebay. It works  sometime & other times the coins pass right through.  How do  you clean these things?  The case say soap & water but I don't see soaking it in water. Do you just wipe it down?

Let me know?  This is going to go in a Vendo 63.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 09:51:16 pm »

Here's a writeup I posted some time ago.  It should cover most of the common issues with your coin mech and YES you can remove the slug rejector and wash it in soapy water.  Read on......

"I wrote the following as a reply to a post in another section and Glen (Moondawg) suggested reposting it here.  Hope it helps answer some of your questions and guides you in the right direction to get your non-functioning coin mech working.

First off, let me dispel a misconception about coin mechs, most coin mechs will work fine with the change tube empty as long as you're using exact change in the form of dimes and nickels.  Are the coins dropping straight through the slug rejector (the upper part of the coin mech) into the change return chute?  In most cases the slug rejector is dirty and the counterweights (small rotating parts that the coin passes through) aren't moving freely.  The whole secret behind proper operation of the slug rejector is to make sure those counterweights aren't binding up and slowing or stopping coin movement through the rejector.  If that happens the coin will stick or hesitate, lose momentum and drop through the change chute.  Another problem could be that the rejector lever (located on top of the coin mech) is slightly depressed and has pushed the outer part of the rejector away from the back plate just enough that the coin has too much play room and drops straight through the rejector to the change chute.

One other problem is that the CREMs (coin return electromagnets) aren't energized.  Most coin changers have two, one for the .25 coin path and one for the .05/.10 coin path.  The .05/.10 CREM energizes when the unit is plugged in.  An easy check is to unplug the coin changer from the coke machine then plug it back in.  You should hear an audible "click".  That means the CREM coil is pulling the CREM arms back out of the coin path so the coins can get through the rejector.  If you don't hear the click, pull the rejector off the coin changer so you can see the CREM (the .05/.10 is on the lower right side) and try the procedure again.  If you don't see the CREM arms move when you plug in the changer, the coil is probably bad and needs to be replaced or rewound.

The .25 CREM will energize only if you have enough change in the change chute to activate a swing switch in the chute, which in turn, energizes the .25 CREM thus pulling its arms out of the .25 coin path.  

If the CREMs seem okay, try cleaning the rejector.  Remove it from the coin changer and (if plastic) soak it in a soapy water solution then rinse and air or blow dry the rejector.  The old metal rejectors (from NRI units) can be boiled (yes, like in a big pot on the stove) in a soapy water solution to remove dirt and grease.  Check the counterweights for free travel.  If they don't swing freely, carefully remove the "c" clips with a jeweler's flathead screwdriver, pull the counterweight off, wipe the shaft clean and, if need be, add a tiny (and I mean TINY) amount of penetrating oil to the shaft.  Make sure to wipe up any excess oil as it will do nothing but attract dirt.  Put the counterweight back on and carefully replace the "c" clip."

I know that's alot of information to digest but hope it helps.  Feel free to holler if you need more assistance.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 11:01:25 am »

Eric

Just the type of information I was looking for. I will give my three C M a good cleaning.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:25:53 pm »

Kevin, who was the eBay seller. I'm curious because I just bought one on ebay and am awaiting its arrival.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: