SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 08:19:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Cavalier 96 produces a lot of condensate, how do I get it to slow down?  (Read 4340 times)
ericedelman

« on: July 14, 2013, 10:20:52 am »

I have a Cavalier 96 that is an older restoration.
Everything on the  machine works great, but the machine produces almost a quart of condensate in the jar every 3-4 days.
The machine is in our home which stays around 70-72 degrees year round.
What can I look into to cut down on the condensate?
Thanks in advance.
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:57:24 pm »

Welcome to the site, below is a link to an earlier discussion about the same issue. I have had the same issue with my Cav-96 this summer but it has been more humid around here this year.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,17661.0.html

~ Bryan
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:14:59 pm »

I have a Cavalier 96 that is an older restoration.
Everything on the  machine works great, but the machine produces almost a quart of condensate in the jar every 3-4 days.
The machine is in our home which stays around 70-72 degrees year round.
What can I look into to cut down on the condensate?
Thanks in advance.

Plan A...make sure your door seals are good , (both the main door & the bottle-door) put a sheet of paper in various spots around the main-door seal, close the door latch & see if you can pull the paper out easily if it slides right out, you have an air leak at that point along the gasket. bottle doors are usually the prim suspect, as they can be tricky to get to align back up correctly after being pulled to be painted.  also make sure your condensate drain trap-door is intact & working ( if you have the older style with the cup & counter-weight) and if you just have a standard drain tube ( rubber or plastic drain tubing) be sure there is a water trap loop so the cold air just doesn't flow out the drain hole & subsequently allow warm humid air to enter the inside tank.  

Plan B... move to Death valley, 120 F Hot, but it's a dry heat... tounge  (Bonus... lizard jerky everywhere!)  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:01:39 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:23:29 pm »

I have the same problem with my Cav 72.  I recently replaced the main door seal.  I tried the paper trick.  The main door seal is relatively tight.  I tried the paper trick around the bottle door and it was easy to pull out.  Not sure if that is normal or do I need a new seal.  The seal appears to be in ok shape but I do get a lot of condensation around the door and especially every time I open the door.  How much tension should the springs apply?  Maybe the door just doesn't get tight enough.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
sodahunter
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:26:55 am »

The CS-72/96 are some of my favorite machines.  When I restore one, I always make sure the main door gasket and bottle door gasket sealing properly and that the cabinet and door have the right amount of insulation installed.  Alot of these machines used a "double seal", one gasket on the main door, and one gasket on the cabinet itself.  If your machine fails the paper test, I would think about replacing the gasket(s).  Funtronics sells a door gasket with a slightly thicker profile than the original.....it's saved my bacon on a machine or two.  Good Luck.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:47 am »

I have the same problem with my Cav 72.  I recently replaced the main door seal.  I tried the paper trick.  The main door seal is relatively tight.  I tried the paper trick around the bottle door and it was easy to pull out.  Not sure if that is normal or do I need a new seal.  The seal appears to be in ok shape but I do get a lot of condensation around the door and especially every time I open the door.  How much tension should the springs apply?  Maybe the door just doesn't get tight enough.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
if your door seal is original, then yes replace it. and then make sure have the bottle door lining up correctly to provide a proper seal.
every time you open the door, you'll let new air in, so that will cause condensation of course depending on the humidity level of your climate.  it's takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right, it's not a just do this one thing and all will be ok..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 12:01:37 pm »

If your machine fails the paper test, I would think about replacing the gasket(s). 

First shim your gasket outward by lifting the bulb and applying sponge tape behind it wherever needed.

Glen
Rick_T88
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:03 pm »

not sure if the paper test will be as tight as the main door seal since it is only spring loaded tight and not latched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: