SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 11:18:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Border Patrol  (Read 2283 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:27 am »

Well, I went to pick up my Ideal 55 Coke embossed slider last night (will post pics tonight as it was dark last night lol)

I had a problem at the border, where they detained me for almost 1hr, grilling me with question after question with regards to pop machines!!

I claimed at the crossing that I paid 200 for the machine (what? It's only worth what one is willing to pay! lol) so tax on that would be $ 26.00
I paid the tax, came out, and had 3 border guys all around the machine (it was an open trailer) looking at it.
They asked me every question you could think of, and I answered every one.
I told them I bought it off a guy in Buffalo for parts (I really had it shipped from Georgia by FedEx.)
I told them I found it from a website (this one) and communicated with him via the site.
They hauled me into the office to log onto the site and to check my msgs!
I did so, and I knew I was busted if they went to the link that showed the slider with the Ebay link.  Well they didn't.  BUT they did go to a msg  I had with a member here, that stated how much the cooler was, and that I used FedEx.  I just claimed that was for a deal that fell thru.  They didn't buy it, but they had no proof because I never said IDEAL 55 COKE in that msg.

Well, after 1hr, they said they would let me off free THIS time, but next time I would need a phone number from the seller so they can call!! (all I had was a fake bill that my wife wrote out)

So, for all of you who cross the border, my advise to you all is:

1. Tell them it was a friend who gave you a lead to a machine.  This eliminates Ebay, CL, etc... where they can't track it or ask you to log on.
2. Tell them ALL conversations were done via phone at home. This eliminates cell phone calls.
3. Remind them that these machine are antiques (although not in the true meaning, as according to customs, an antique must be over 100 years old) and that there is no BOOK value on these machines like a car or retail merchandise.  These machines are worth what someone is willing to pay is what I told them, and they had no reply to that statement, because in the end it's true.  Any store that sells theses machines, restored OR original, is essentially a antique store, and the cost of a machine (not counting labour and NEW parts put into the machine) is what one is willing to pay.
4. He went on Ebay and looked at "coke" machines and said, why are these machines going for more?  I told them 2 reasons, first they are different machines (he looked at a 81) and second, because I'm not the one bidding.  I said Ebay is an auction and prices are based on what one is willing to pay.  He showed me past sales of a BIN of a 39, and again I said, that's what someone is willing to pay.  I also told him that there is a LOT of shill bidding (he played dumb and didn't know what I meant) I explained it to him and he was silent.

I told them that I know how it looks, guy brings in a coke machine, claims 200 blah blah blah, and on TV these go for 6000 blah blah blah.  Yet I told him that I paid 200, had a bill of sale, and nothing  more I can provide or do.  That's when they saw I guess that I was holding firm, and that I was telling the truth.

Look, I know I was lying, to save a few bucks on the taxes.... but I look at it as I should be paying taxes on the  machines for what it's worth.  And Before I left I showed my dad a picture of the machine, and he said I'm nuts....... that he would have to be PAID to take a hunk of junk like that (he doesn't like my hobby lol).
So I figure my dad is wise.... so the value can't be more than 200!  tounge

This msg will self destruct the next time I go over the border lol

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:38 am »

Wow! Thanks for sharing your story. I was going to bring back a machine from Buffalo to Detroit in a few weeks. I guess now I will be going around the lake through Cleveland!! It's too bad that they have to question you like that. You would think they have enough to worry about and not be too concerned about a guy and his hobby of collecting old vending machines!

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:21:43 am »

Wow, I've never known anyone to have that much difficulty before. Glad you got home okay and with no  back room exams

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:22 am »

lol..... yeah getting a "squirt" probe would really "crush"  my mood.

I understand they have a job to do, but at the same time, if I claim a rust bucket at 200.... how much blood do they want from the stone?

Canada (from my VAST knowledge lol does not make hand guns or semi automatic weapons.... NOR do we cultivate cocaine.... so how are they coming into the country?
(By no means is this a argument for or against guns, just a point that I got held 1hr for a coke cooler is all lol)

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »

In my other post, I was just joking.  But maybe we do need to run them across the ice in the winter!

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: