SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 12:04:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 81A not cooling properly. Help  (Read 3693 times)
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« on: July 04, 2013, 08:09:35 pm »

I have had this machine for about 5 years and it has functioned well.  About a month ago, I moved it across the patio to protect it from a power washer.  It was in direct sunlight and unplugged for about 2 weeks.  When I moved it back to it's position and plugged it in, it turned on as usual and I thought was functioning properly.  After a day or so, I checked it and it was warm inside the machine.  I adjusted the thermostat down and waited a day or so.  Made little difference.  The lower 1/4th of the machine is cooling well, but the upper shelves are not.  The fan comes on periodically like it use to and frost is forming on the "part" as shown in the picture.  Any guidance would be appreciated for trouble shooting this problem.  I have limited refrigeration and electrical knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Bob
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:02:09 pm »

Is the fan behind the evaporator (part) turning?

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03:41 pm »

Is the fan behind the evaporator (part) turning?

i was thinking the same thing with amount of frost on the evaporator. . .
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:17:35 pm »

That's what it is- if you need help changing it, let me know- I have a stand already made also.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:53 pm »

How do I tell?  I just took another quick look at it, and there is lots of frost on it, I guess, its the evaporator.  There is a fan on the very bottom, that looks like a automobile radiator, that comes on and off.  Should I be able to feel air blowing towards me out of the evaporator?  If so, I feel none.  I honestly don't remember what if felt like prior to this issue developing.  Are there 2 separate fans?  If so, then it is likely a problem with the evaporator fan.  If it is, how much is it an issue to fix/repair?  Would it just go suddenly bad?  Thanks for the help, and Ron, I may require your assistance on this unless it is something I can fix easily by myself.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:08:37 pm by Hollywood80 » Logged

Bob
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:01 pm »

Yes,  there are (2)separate fans one is down below next to the compressor and and condensor coils.  The evaporator fan is directly behind the vents that you see frosted up.  The cold air blows against the cabinet and up the rest of the machine.

You can build a cheap, inexpensive stand out of scrap 2x2, 2x4's and a small piece of OSB, or plywood.  Fans can go out for no reason, it's possible during movement it could of loosened some wires?  The previous owner could of done a poor job wiring the machchine, or youcould have some bad wiring a lot can happen to these old machines.  

Jared
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:44:43 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 04:31:38 am »

If you have never removed the cooling deck before, its fairly easy and nothing to be worried about, I would check wiring, then fans like others said.  Good luck

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:54:34 am »

Well there is one thing to be concerned with......don't kink the copper lines. 
This is the reason Jared has his deck sitting on an easy-to-make stand.
You may be tempted to fix the fan motor by just pulling the evaporator forward while it's still in the machine, but now is a good time to pull it out and go through everything like others have said.   Again, it's very easy to do and all these old machines need it.

Glen
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 10:31:12 am »

Once you get the cooling unit out I would clean it up real good (great time to touch up on the paint). I would also replace both fan motors so you don't have the other one go out on you when you least expect it. 

~ Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: