SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 01:22:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I may have over-stepped my boundaries...  (Read 7547 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« on: June 24, 2013, 07:34:19 am »

I just found this item listed on greenbay and couldn't help myself...

1950s ROYAL CROWN COLA DOUBLE SIDED TIN / IRON FLANGE ADVERTISING SIGN
Rare Original Two Sided Sign For Royal Crown Cola

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to be ebay police, but does anyone else see an issue with this item as being fraudulent...?
I sent the following message:
Hello,
In an attempt to be fair to potential customers, I would like to inform you that this is sign is a reproduction!  I have several re-issues as well as their original counter-parts just so I could verify signs that may be sold as "Original Old".
The sign is marked, "Manufactured By Stout Marketing, St. Louis, Mo 9511238 / Authorized by Royal Crown Co., Inc. / Total Production - 750" to eliminate the confusion between an "Originally Old" & "Re-Issued" signs.  Back in the late 1980's early 1990's quite a few signs were reproduced and ALL where labeled with Production Numbers such as your sign!
Moreover, I can see the edge has NO Paint which is constant with the Re-Issue version, and original flange signs have paint on the edges!
Lastly, test the sign with a magnet and you will be surprised to find it is not tin!
I sincerely hope you correct this misleading item within the short time left or be forced to deal with ebay's fradulent department.
Thank you for your time & consideration!

I normally don't jump in on things like this, but something told be to set things right!
Any input or suggestions welcome...

My six cents,

Jim

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:42:45 am »

I just found this item listed on greenbay and couldn't help myself...

1950s ROYAL CROWN COLA DOUBLE SIDED TIN / IRON FLANGE ADVERTISING SIGN
Rare Original Two Sided Sign For Royal Crown Cola

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to be ebay police, but does anyone else see an issue with this item as being fraudulent...?
I sent the following message:
I normally don't jump in on things like this, but something told be to set things right!
Any input or suggestions welcome...

Jim if you are 100% certain, I don't think you've overstepped at all.  It is very disappointing for what appears to be a very reputable vendor on eBay to be so blatantly incorrect.  Hopefully it is a simple matter of being mislead by whomever they purchased it from and they will remove or edit the auction.   If anyone is curious and wants to stop by their shop with a magnet  oops   they are located in Brewster, MA.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:02:19 am »

It even says “Total production of 750....” There should be a date also in the rest of that small text.
These are Kenny Seahs signs produced around 1995 or so... These are great if you can't afford the
high price of a mint original... These were dated.  Shame the seller doesn't mention the date. glare

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:29:16 am by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:59 am »

I agree, if youre 100% right, no bounds overstepped.

Personally, I think its good when people try to help with matters like this.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 02:07:36 pm »

There were no production numbers printed on signs from the 50's! Why?
This guy hasn't answered you (I'm guessing) and he probably won't.
I used to tell eBay sellers of their listing mistakes, but don't anymore. A few would inform their bidders, some would say thanks for the info (but never change the listing) and most would just ignore my message.
Buyer Beware!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

There was also a time at eBay you could “click” on the bidder and warn them about the item I remember doing that a couple times
when the seller wouldn't change the posting... So always bid on what you know... the “Total Production” statement should be enough
for a seasoned collector.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »

There was also a time at eBay you could “click” on the bidder and warn them about the item I remember doing that a couple times
when the seller wouldn't change the posting... So always bid on what you know... the “Total Production” statement should be enough
for a seasoned collector.

There is a "Report Item" link, I think you could report it as fraudulent.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »

I thought I would chime in with Jim and see if maybe multiple emails might get a reply.  I got a response in a few hours:

Thanks Jim,
You are the first to mention this but we will surely inform the high bidder - everything we sell has an unconditional, life time guarantee of authenticity and we certainly do not want to mislead anyone.
Thanks again,
Tom

- walnutts

Well - I guess IF TRUE that is a fair response.

- Jim

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »

There is no truth in that statement... Jim (the other one) has already told him this and yet the auction continues. Why tell the high bidder and not everyone else.
Lying scumbag...

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »

There is no truth in that statement... Jim (the other one) has already told him this and yet the auction continues. Why tell the high bidder and not everyone else.
Lying scumbag...

You know Dave - after I posted, I thought the same thing you did - why only tell the high bidder?   Regarding his "you are the first to mention it" comment, I could see maybe if Jim and I were the only two to contact him, and they have a lot of messages about their auctions, perhaps mine was the first message he read.   

Then I was even tempted to BE the high bidder and see if I was told this nugget of information.  He would already have my eBay ID from my prior email and I really don't have the time to mess with it, so I put that thought out of my head pretty quickly.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: