SMC Discussion Areas
May 29, 2024, 06:17:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammertone paint questions  (Read 4323 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:05 pm »

Has anyone ever tried using a brush or a roller to apply hammertone paint? I've never been able to get the spray cans to give me a finish that looks good. Most of the time it just looks like regular spray paint with some holes in it. The reason I ask is I recently purchased a Kennedy machinist tool box and it looked like when I bought it that it just had some dirt and light surface rust but after cleaning it up there is a lot of missing paint and I was thinking about repainting it.
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »

Hi I used hammer tone spray paint on my Storner, wasn't really happy with the results , so I took the advise for a paint guy. He had me sand it with 800 grit sandpaper to get a nice uniform surface then spray on multi-coats of clear. The result were very good it made the whole thing pop.  Also here a link to another post on this subject

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,12121.msg95804/topicseen.html#msg95804

good luck!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »

Awesome thanks!
I ended up finding a can of hammertone  paint that I bought for another project and never used and painted the outside part of my cooler liner as a test (figured since it would be hidden inside the cooler anyway that no one would see it and it would not matter much) and I think I figured out how to apply it. Seemed to work pretty good when I did done coat spraying from left to right and then the next coat I went perpendicular to the first coat and for the third coat I went at about a 45 degree angle to the first coat. For the first time I actually have a texture that looks pretty close to what the lid shows. Now to buy 12 cans of the stuff and a spray trigger that will fit these cans (rustoleum changed the button to make it easier to spray but by doing so they made it so I can't hook the handle to the can anymore)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »

I did see a spray bomb  handle today, made by Rustoleum. Whether it will work with their new button I can not say.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:05 pm »

I did see a spray bomb  handle today, made by Rustoleum. Whether it will work with their new button I can not say.

You know I actually picked one up today while I was getting paint at the home depot. The new kind clips onto the little crimped edge right below the button. I do think I will need to rebuild it though since it is really cheap plastic but for now it will work pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: