SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 03:29:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Beer Can Chicken" recipe?  (Read 7704 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: June 01, 2013, 07:50:23 pm »

So - besides obsessing over Coke machines, I love to cook.  Indoors or outdoors, frying, baking, roasting - you name it,  I enjoy cooking it.    

I've been on a bit of a kick with my Kamado grill lately.  Besides the usual burgers, steaks, chicken - I cooked a 10lb pork shoulder last weekend for the family.  Slow-roasted/smoked it for 11 hours at 225*, pulled it apart for sandwiches and it was just amazing.   Cool

I'm going to take on a 'beer can chicken' tomorrow.  I've never done one before, but I love grilled chicken and it sounds like a lot of fun to make.   I know how I'm going to set up the grill to cook it, and I'm thinking of a basic and simple rub of salt/pepper/olive oil/thyme but using white wine instead of beer for the steam in the 'beer can' section.  I love cooking chicken indoors with white wine and garlic, so I think that would translate well outside.

Anyone else have any recipe suggestions they would like to share?

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25:15 pm »

I cook chicken on the grill by "spatchcocking" it.  I've done the beer can and it is good.  I like this version better.  It cooks faster and to me has more flavor.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »

Thanks Marvin!  I have cooked chicken in the oven by spatchcocking it (used a foil wrapped brick as a "press" on top) - it was delicious.  I'll add this one to my list of things I need to try on the grill.   happydrinkers

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »

Marvin is dead on, spatchcock all the way!  I did beer can chickens on my Big Green Egg and thought they were good, until I found that Naked Whiz article on spatchcock.  I'd recommend prepping the chicken the day before, or at least 6 hours beforehand.  Clean it off and trim, rub with some oil and then put a rub on it.  Leave it open air in the fridge (no cover) and that'll crisp up the skin real nice.  

I do a whole chicken once a week now, takes about an hour and a half with the spatchcock.  I'd also recommend a decent thermometer if you don't have one, world of difference.  Cook the chicken to 160 and it'll be perfect every time.  I use the iGrill which connects via bluetooth to my phone and I can monitor the temps remotely.  

And if you haven't seen it yet, go to this site for some great methods and science behind the grilling: http://amazingribs.com/index.html

Here is their article 'debunking' beer-can chicken: http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:51:59 pm by tkaz » Logged

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:49 am »

Thanks Tkaz - I'm familiar with the Amazing Ribs website.  I LOVE ribs, sadly nobody else in my family eats them (philistines!) so I do not often make them.  They are too labor intensive for just me to eat. 

I have a Thermapen instant read thermometer.  One of the best kitchen investments ever, takes a lot of the guesswork out of doneness.  I've never been a big fan of tactile measuring of doneness of food.

I certainly don't disagree with the science they present in the article, but I think the article and their conclusions are frankly a bit muddled. 

They "debunk" beer can chicken, but also state that vertical roasting is a good method to use.  So really they are only debunking the act of using liquid inside the vertical roasting stand.  I have to say I have always questioned how steam from the beer can is supposed to keep the meat on the outer portion of the chicken moist, but a half a cup of beer is a small price to pay.

I agree that vertical roasting is probably not as good as spatchcocking, but that is simple physics.  You change the amount of surface area exposed to the direct heat in spatchcocking.   I also do not disagree that cooking individual pieces is the best method of all, but both methods lack some of the presentation you get from a whole roasted bird.  We eat first with our eyes. 

Besides - the roasting chicken looks funnier with a beer can shoved up its arse.   biggrin

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:19 pm »

Success!   Very tasty, smokey bird.  Skin split a bit, but mmmmm... good stuff.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »

I have 2 BGE's, if you are looking for ribs, try carwash mikes recipe best I have seen so far.   I agree on spatchcock chicken, the only way to go.  I did 2 tritips today, that were out of this world, for those of you on the forum tat do not have a BGE, I highly recommend them. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:04 pm »

I love my BGE.  The best cooking investment I have made. 
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:52:24 pm »

Yep, love mine too...cooked an 8lb pork butt on Friday night for a family get together yesterday to watch the Bruins/Pens game. 

jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:04 pm »

I love my BGE.  The best cooking investment I have made. 

Agree - I have a Kamado Joe, but it is essentially the exact same thing as the Big Green Egg.  LOVE it.  Not sure if my Kamado grill or my Thermapen are my favorite cooking investments, but love them both.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: