SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 07:51:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TK/ Starlite Drive-in  (Read 5599 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:14 pm »

Started a new job two weeks ago and I no longer have to work on weekends so last week I decided to take a trip up to the TK/ Starlite Drive-in in Neligh Nebraska and thought I would share some pictures. It's a nice little single screen theater that just this season got digital projection (very big plus since it means that they won't have to close when they stop putting movies on 35mm film) and remodeled the snack bar. They also have a few speakers in the lot but they are only for show and they have the sound played through the car radio. Was a ton of fun but it is a 3 hour drive from my house and next time I'm going to spend the night in town because by the time I had gotten home I had been awake for 25 hours.

The Screen

Concession Stand / projection booth

Ticket Booth

Marquee

All the different speakers that they have

Driving to a Drive-in has been one of my goals ever since I bought my car and I've been saving this tray for this very occasion

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:13:22 pm by scalebowler » Logged
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »

Boy am I lucky, I have a triple screen 20 minutes away and two single screens 45 minutes away. Can't imagine driving 3 hours to enjoy a drive in movie.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:11 pm »

We have one about an hour away and I think that's far! It's not so bad going out, but it gets us back pretty late. Definitely too late to stay for the 2nd feature.

It's been a few years since we've gone. Maybe we'll get out there again this summer.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Pat Pixley
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »

Love it  great pictures   smile
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »

They are fading fast here in Washington State.  I think there is ( 2 ) left that are actually screening movies. My friend just took a picture of this old closed down one in my hometown, Wenatchee, WA.  I remember going as kids piling in the yellow suburban with cousins and staying up late.  The last movie I remember seeing there was "The Naked Gun"

Cool pics!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:49 am »

Very cool. Have the old Topo maps for here and there used to be a Drive-In three blocks away. It's now a storage locker complex. Sorry turn of events.
Creighton
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:01:32 am »

Love em.  We in the Buffalo NY area have the Transit Drive in which actually expanded to 4 screens  7 years ago.  The owner, the Cohen family are great people.

Long live the Drive in!!!

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:32:40 am »

Thanks for the post!!!   Too bad they're all dying out slowly.  We're lucky to still have a handful left in MA
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

They are fading fast here in Washington State.  I think there is ( 2 ) left that are actually screening movies. My friend just took a picture of this old closed down one in my hometown, Wenatchee, WA.  I remember going as kids piling in the yellow suburban with cousins and staying up late.  The last movie I remember seeing there was "The Naked Gun"

Cool pics!

I have one about 10 min from my house north of Olympia, and there is one also west of Bremerton and just outside of Gorst. We plan on going this summer they could be gone anytime in the near future.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »

they could be gone anytime in the near future.

That is so true especially since they are going to stop printing movies on 35mm film which is causing TONS of theaters that can't afford to go digital to close (one of my coworkers said the theater that she used to work at in her home town had to close down for that very reason). I need to hit up the I-70 drive-in VERY soon because they might not make it past this summer because of the cost of going digital.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: