SMC Discussion Areas
June 14, 2024, 04:03:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minit Pop popcorn machine  (Read 19869 times)
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »

Does anyone know if these side handles are original to this machine or where they a later addition ? And if original do most of you make way with them when restoring ?
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:25 am »

I personally have never seen those before on a U-Pop-It/Minit-Pop. Where was/is it located?

Brian
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:06 am »

have never seen them on one either.
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46:04 am »

Those are usually on the trash can.

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 12:59:32 pm »

Hey Jeff,  After looking more at your pics I think you did very well on this machine...you got a very good deal..  Im glad to hear everything is looking good after you cleaned it.. If you want to use it before restoring it I would now say go for it..  The chrome feet on these machines always seem to need to be rechromed..  I made a set of feet for one of my machines out of stainless and then polished the heck out of them... Never again will they rust or pit ha ha .. But I was going to ask you about the trash can inside of the machine in the bottom back...Does your machine have this?  Plus the relay covers are easy to make.. I might have one but I would have to check..

Brian..
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 02:02:09 pm »

Thanks Brian, I don't know much about these, specially when it comes to prices but I mostly see them for around 2500$ in worse condition so I figured as long as it was complete, I was doing ok... As far as using it before restoring it, after staring at it completely disasembled for the past week,  I decided to just go ahead with the restoration, the feet and two bezels are already sent out for charming, it's going to be a slow restoration but at least it will look great for the first bag of popcorn lol... Yes the machine still has the original small square bin in the back, I think I posted something about it a few posts back, from what I've read these are rarely found in the machines so it's kinda cool that mine still has it... If you do have a spare cover and wouldn't mind parting with it I would be very grateful, I know they are easy to make but I'm a big fan of original parts... Let me know if you find one and we can work something out as far as pricing, thanks again !

Jeff !
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:37 pm »

Do you guys normally completely restore the coin  mechs as well ? And I also have some bad news, I chipped the corner of the salt box, it's very minimal and barely noticeable and its a bottom corner but I know it's going to drive me nuts if I don't repair it or replace it, and based on reading I've done on the machine, they are not being reproduced at this time yet so I'll most likely be fixing it !  I've gotten pretty good at repairing bakelite so we'll have to see !
PopcornShop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 08:53:02 pm »

Hey Jeff,  Ive repaired chipped salt boxes before..its not to bad at all...  But I used panel bond to repair them... the color matches real well..and if it still doesn't look good enough I then used trim paint in a flat type appearance... If the machine has been outside in the elements you will find the salt boxes to be more brittle... When I get time I will look for a relay cover for you..  All the best...Brian...
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 06:44:42 am »

Sorry to hear about your salt box. But, if you already have experience repairing bakelite coupled with the other suggestion to use panel bond you should have it fixed in a jiff. As far as the coin mech goes, I send the rejector portion to Tom Barnes (Collecture) for restoration and I restore the rejector housing, wiring/plug, and I also verify the operation of the CREM.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:50:30 am by BrianB » Logged

Brian
Jeffmon
25 Cent Member

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 09:37:55 am »

That looks great Brian, I actually already sent mine to Tom, I was just curious if most of you guys restored the coin mech on these things or if I might of been a bit over doing it lol... As far as the salt box, I've never tried repairing bakelite with panel bond, I use a method I got from a bakelite phone repair guy a few years back, it works great and is not noticeable once polished... Unfortunately you can never get the original shine back on bakelite, to bad they didn't make these out of Catalin instead... I would imagine that's why I see most of them just painted on restored machines, mine still has a nice enough shine to it though so I should be able to save the finish and leave it original... Anyhow thanks again Brian ! Will keep you guys posted on my progress, however slow it may be lol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: