SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 08:24:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $15,000 Popperette? Nope! Only $14,950!!  (Read 8186 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« on: April 03, 2013, 09:00:07 am »

Saw this on the 'net this morning. A "fully restored" Popperette went for $14,950 at auction a couple of weeks ago. Interesting to see what some are willing to pay.

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:26:13 am »

I got Two,, I'll let them go for a steal... $12,500 each... First in gets them.. biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:50:31 am »

Boy that's pretty gaudy.  I wonder what mine would go for?  What auction house was it?

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:36 am »

yes its way over restored for my taste...

For some reason however it looks alot like the one that Jeff Wolf had restored.. he always liked lots of graphics on his stuff as well.

Good for whoever sold it..

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:41 am »

Agreed on the over-the-top graphics but I guess it's a "to each his own" scenario. I was just fascinated with the price. Even with a hefty auctioneers premium, that is still a huge take.

Brian
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:01 pm »

There is usually alot of folks with deep pockets who go to auctions like this, and when they see an item that they never seen before and more than one interested party, it's amazing what items can bring crazy money.. at that point it's more about Pride, than the money....

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

Saw this on the 'net this morning. A "fully restored" Popperette went for $14,950 at auction a couple of weeks ago. Interesting to see what some are willing to pay.

Don't tell anyone... But it's almost like these things might be worth money!! And not every buyer is a hardcore lowballing collector willing to wait 10 years for a steal!!! Keep it under you hat so the word doesn't get out!!  tounge

Tim
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »

If you got the money to spend they why not get what you want... I would I have brought it for $15K .....if I had the money..... Just watch Barris Jackson if you want to see allot of collectors spending big bucks....Millions vs. thousands .......American Capitalism   made this country great!

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:50 am »

It has absolutely nothing to due with being a "hardcore lowballer" or anything of the sort. It has everything to due with trend analysis and knowing what these machines have sold for in the past taking into account all scenarios. Was it an unrestored machine sold from a collector to another collector or was it fully restored machine sold at a prestigious auction?

All of these factors matter, like it or not.

So, based on my personal experience with these machines, I can with full confidence tell you that $14,950 for a Popperette  sold at auction as a "fully restored machine" is definitely not the norm. It falls into the "exception" category.

Yeah, I get the capitalism thing. If I had $14,950 to spend only on Popperette's I would be able to buy (2) "back-to-stock" full restorations or heck, I would be able to score an NOS Popperette still in it's original packing crate and still have close to $7000 left over for something else like a fully restored Minit-Pop!

I have watched Barrett-Jackson Auctions before and I have friends that have been and seen what some of the restored soda pop machines (39's, 44's, 56's, 72's, 96's & 81's) and they typically go for considerably higher prices due to the typical clientele at those shows and what they are willing to spend. Once again, is this the norm? No, it's the exception.

BTW: I never knocked the buyer or the price. I just mentioned the price and that It was "interesting" to see what others are willing to pay for a Popperette in that state. It actually makes me happy to see people purchasing more Popperettes seeing as how I reproduce a few parts for them!

Brian
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »

The reality is that there is a "typical" price at a high end auction. It's a buttload more the the average person can pay. That doesn't make every price realized at auction the exception if its constantly much higher then you want to pay.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: