SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 01:33:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Database of prices:  (Read 19250 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 11:48:30 pm »

Have thought about the bought it at $$ but not selling it at this time (keeper) scenario. It would need to be another column or two.
It's the same data as what an individual machine has just sold for. So to add this level of detail just adds extra database fields that really matter not.
Trying to get this as painless as possible for entry and display. Won't get used otherwise.

Let me know of any other suggestions.
It is a bit of pain to update or add content so would like to do everything at once.
Thanks!
Creighton
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 05:28:11 am »

What about auctions.. I bought a clean Pepsi 33 for $750.. That's what the market set that day?

That being a public sale at auction it would make sence, add the tax and commission and you have a fair market value. Just don't forget to add all of the ones that you don't win that go higher then you are willing to pay so the numbers don't get skewed toward the SMC member price point side.

Tim
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 09:45:28 am »

That being a public sale at auction it would make sence, add the tax and commission and you have a fair market value. Just don't forget to add all of the ones that you don't win that go higher then you are willing to pay so the numbers don't get skewed toward the SMC member price point side.

I dont think however you can use one auction as "market price" as we all know two bidders can drive up prices crazy high if they really want an item... I'd agree if you go to alot of auctions you could average out a few items but just one would not set market value in my opionion.

remember guys this is not an exact science.. I just think putting info on this database is just a tool for an uniformed person to make there own averages... if they see 10 Vendo 81's that have been purchased on and listed on there and the prices range from 1500-2000 one each sale,, that person "SHOULD" be able to figure out what the average price for that model are, pending all factors involved.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 11:08:05 am »

Yes, this whole tool is to gather an AVERAGE price, that's why it is important for everybody to input any past machines bought and sold.

Glen
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »

I dont think however you can use one auction as "market price" as we all know two bidders can drive up prices crazy high if they really want an item... I'd agree if you go to alot of auctions you could average out a few items but just one would not set market value in my opionion.

remember guys this is not an exact science.. I just think putting info on this database is just a tool for an uniformed person to make there own averages... if they see 10 Vendo 81's that have been purchased on and listed on there and the prices range from 1500-2000 one each sale,, that person "SHOULD" be able to figure out what the average price for that model are, pending all factors involved.

I have to disagree. We are not talking about a rare painting, these are mostly common soda machines that you can find out what you can get for an item if you have to sell it today. Auctions records will prove the fair market value not the retail asking price. If there are 25 auction sales in the past 2 years for a particular machine and 20 get between 1800-2300 you can be pretty confident that you will get between 1800-2300.

Bidding war... Let get realistic, an auction is by definition is a bidding war. Just because they pay more then the tightwad collector doesn't mean they aren't setting the market value. Yes, there are ways to buy things cheaper, but that doesn't discount an auction value if they paid retail prices.

What you have to do is get into statistics and sampling, not just averages which means you toss out the fliers like the $17000 vendo 44 and the $175 vendo 81

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:15 pm »

>>What you have to do is get into statistics and sampling.,

So true. That is the double edged sword of a database of this type.
Nobody contributes, nothing to build any kind of pricing info on.
Fixing to set down and clean it up some.

Keep forgetting to mention. If you have database software, OpenOffice is free you can save the output database and sort however you want.

I've tried to bring the web HTML output database directly into Excel and OpenOffice.
Formating is all f*cked up. Any help there would be nice.
Google Docs has an interesting piss poor way of relating content between Form/Output.

Thanks,
Creighton
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 08:21:03 am »

You need to make more space for "Model" on the spreadsheet. My VMC-RC 81 I listed doesnt show up all the way. Its cut off after the "RC".

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print