SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 09:33:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 4539 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: January 23, 2013, 09:05:28 pm »

OK - not soda related (at all), but looking for advice from you guys.
I have been getting brown water out of my hot water faucets for about two weeks. I flushed the water heater, but the issue remained. The heater is 10 years old, so I decided to just put in a new one figuring that it only had a couple of years of life probably anyway. The issue remains, so....
Upon reading further on the web I think I may have a broken line, but why would the dirt only come out of my hot side?
Any thoughts or ideas? I need to get this resolved.
Thanks

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:46:15 pm »

Tom,
The reason the color shows more in the hot water than the cold is when water is heated the solids drop out and goes to the bottom of the tank. When you run your hot water the water entering the tank goes to the bottom to stir the sediment to keep it from building up in the tank. So all the dirt and minerals that have dropped to the bottom of the tank are concentrated and stirred in the tank making the color of the water more noticeable. Do you have well water?

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »

Do you have a water well or city water, sometimes well water will get sand in it if the water table is low. I never seen a leaking pipe pull dirt in but i guess it could be possible. ive seen dirt in lines after a leak has been repaired it someetimes gets in there from loose sand around a cut pipe. or possibly the city had a main repair and got sand in the water main but it should clear up. Also if the house is old it couls have steel plumbing instead of copper.

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »

If you are on city water, do you know if the fire hydrants in your area have been recently flushed...?
This will definitely cause your issue, but generally not for two weeks unless your water usage is really low...

My six cents,

Jim

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »

There is a hydrant right across the street, but have not seen any activity with it.

I am on city water, but in the 21 years that we have lived in this house I've never had this issue. It is a brand new tank, so I can't see that it would have that much sediment build-up in it. I just filled a bucket directly from the tank's drain spout and it is brown as well, so that eliminates downstream issues.

When we built our addition onto the home, the plumber ran a line from our main down to the garage, where we moved the water heater. I am thinking that there is a leak in that line. I think I will get the water tested to tell me what it is and go from there.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:52:10 am »

Just can't see how any sort of leak in an inbound line could cause this.
There should be enough pressure to force contaminants out not allow them in.
Creighton
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:05:11 am »

I would check with the water dept. to see if there is something going on with the supply. I don't see this as a leak.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:14:10 am »

I'm assuming you have checked with the neighbours to make sure they are not having the same problems.
We had a similar issue a few years ago and it was the water company, nothing internal.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:00:02 am »

I have seen this issue when municipalities are working on or replacing water mains.  Municipal water mains are typically ductile iron pipe and corrosion scale and mineral deposits will builds up on the interior the water mains.  When these lines are repaired/replaced, scale inside the adjacent pipes can become disloged & come into the houses.  

Are you on a dead end street?  THis debris can also collect at "dead ends" of the mains.  This is why many municipalities flush water mains thru the hydrants on a regular basis to flush this crap out of the mains.  Another possibility is that you may have a galvanized steel water service.  THese can corrode from the interior as well, and scale & corrosion may be coming from your service.

I would call your town & tell them that you are having a problem with your water & see if they will investigate what is going on.  You are paying for this service, so there is a problem, they will at least give you some advice.

PM me if you have questions and we can discuss it.

Larry
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:07 pm »

Have you tried flushing the hot water heater several times just in-case the hot water holding tank is storing the debris?

~ Bryan
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: