SMC Discussion Areas
March 28, 2024, 11:18:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zinc Plating vs Powder coated or Something Else?  (Read 19339 times)
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:17 am »

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on having the inside shelves and such zinc plated or powder coated.  Or would you recommend something else?

Easier to get things powder coated now a days, but what's the advantages and disadvantages?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:41:11 am by Jonathan816 » Logged

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:34:22 pm »

I used to use Zinc Plating the shelves and bottle stack shoes where the bottle sits before a vend, but have switched to powder coating.

the zinc would look awesome at first but after exposure to the cold and moisture it starts to breakdown and looks chalky and gross...

Powdercoating has been the way to go for me over the last few years and so far still looks great!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:44:36 pm »

I am a huge fan of powder coating.  I just coated the suspension arms on my Spitfire a week or so ago at my friend's house.  They look awesome.

The only place I could see PC being less desirable is where you have very tight tolerances.  Most powder coating places I've seen put it on pretty heavy.

Just had the rack on my Glasco slider powder coated - it looks very nice and should last the lifetime of the machine.  I had to farm it out because it was too large to fit in my friend's oven.

We all love old-school stuff, but sometimes new-school is simply better.  I have to believe if powder coating were an option back in the day, that's what they would have used.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:01:38 pm »

Is there any particular color to do the shelves that stands out more? Or just a gray/silver?

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:49 pm »

I used the silver hammer tone, came out very nice.

~ Bryan
burnt mind

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:28 pm »

Thanks for asking this question.....i just posted a similar one myself and then noticed this post from today.....my questions are answered.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »

I started out spraying my own stuff with  hammer tone but now I powder coat the tank & all shelves and everything inside .
color is ultra chrome and clear coated.  the Jacobs tanks are a haze gray
Jonathan816
25 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:23:57 am »

So what do you do with the springs in the sliding shelves?   I'd imagine you can't paint them...  can you find replacement springs to get a new look?

VMC 81 - Pepsi
VMC 110 - Pepsi
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »

Suppliers on this site sell the springs.
The wheels should come off the shelves before powdercoating though.

Glen
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »

You have to drill out the rivet on the wheel on the shelf and you can put it back on with a special bolt sold by Funtronics... springs and such are also sold by the suppliers.. often times you can clean them up on a buffing wheel as well.. or easy enough just to replace them.
the slides i powder coat as well...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: