SMC Discussion Areas
April 28, 2024, 11:07:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Juke Restorers  (Read 14653 times)
Aahgo

« on: January 03, 2013, 01:20:51 pm »

I am primarily a pinball collector, but I've always wanted to sprinkle in a few other coin-ops.  Last year I restored a Lacrosse bottle 7-up machine.  Now I would like to get a Juke.  I briefly owned a Rockola 1448 that I picked-up in unrestored condition for $500.  Unfortunately that deal fell through and left me wanting.  So here's the question...what are realistic expectations for availability and price for machines of this vintage (late 50's), and condition (unrestored, but basically complete).  I'm in the midwest area (Milwaukee).  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:14 pm »

Hi Glen,

I am strictly an amateur jukebox guy but I have restored 4 Seeburg 100 series.  If you decide you like the seeburg 100 family, I can help but I would encourage you to do it yourself.  I am completely an idiot when it comes to fixing stuff but with the right help, you can do it.  I just finished my seeburg 100b and it came out pretty nice.  Let me know if I can help.

Brian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »

Glenn,

Prices and  models run the gauntlet, but  with patience perseverance and a bit a luck  you can pick up a jukebox  for 500-$1100. Again, it depends on the model, condition,  demand, etc.

Seeburg and Wurlitzers are easiest to find parts for, and many are repopped.  Rockola and AMI  are hit and miss in terms of parts.
Keep in mind that  the first stereo jukebox didn't hit the market until 1959,  and yes, there is a sound difference. I'm not a music snob so I don't mind a good tune in hi-fidelity, but it is something to keep in mind.

There are many jukebox people  here, it's a natural  with a pop machine, so  ask away

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Aahgo

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »

Stereo would be nice, but not essential.  Manufacturer may not matter, kind of more depends on the look.  I think I can handle the restoration myself (he said with naive optimism) to keep the purchase price down.  Just not too sure where to look for decent project machines.  CL seems to just turn up bunch of 60's to 80's ho-hum boxes, CD machines, and very expensive already restored machines.  With pinballs, most of my finds are word of mouth from friends and other collectors.  Just don't know that many juke guys.  If anyone out there has something in the area, let me know.

Thanks,
Glenn.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:30:57 pm »

Please do not buy a jukebox form the 1970s or 1980s.  I think you would be much happier with a "silver age" jukebox from 1950-1959.  The "visible mechanisms" makes them much more attractive.  You can spend under $1000 and get a good one to restore with all the parts.  I am partial to Seeburg because I was a huge Happy Days fan.

Just my .02

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Aahgo

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »

Brian - no worries there.  I've got no interest in those era machines (unless it's one of those really cool faux wood grain consoles with the picture of a mandolin in the back!!).  I'm more of a chrome, glass, visible mechanism kind of a guy.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:55 pm »

I agree with Kilroy and BC.  If you can hold out for one from the 50's I would do it.  I am partial to Seeburg's because that is what I have and those are the machines I remember from when I was a kid.  Keep an eye on Craigslist and something will pop up.  If you see something that you want move fast because there are people like Lloyd at Coinop Warehouse who are snapping up machines coast to coast.  That being said, Lloyd is a good source for parts and entire machines.  If you are on Facebook, you can like Coinop Warehouse as he posts finds for sale regularly.

Another good website to familiarize yourself with the different models is Pinball Rebel.  They have a pretty complete listing of jukeboxes with photos from all of the major manufacturers.

Good luck!

drinking Tim drinking

PS:  This is a picture of mine from the day I picked it up.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »

Patience is a key. I've found most of my jukes on CL, I've bought only two on Ebay.

And spread the word to your collector friends and family you are looking for a juke. I've  been offered  arcade games when going out to look at a juke.  One is usually near the other.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Aahgo

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:18 pm »

New question...I've been looking and may have found something a few hours away...how do you move one of these?  Do they have to be moved upright, or can they be laid down?  Any chance one would fit in a minivan?  Or am I going to need to rent a truck?  Thanks.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

The only console I have is a 1936 Mills.  It fit into my mini van.

Why don't you check out the jukebox show next week.  It's in St. Charles Illinois.  If you are in Milwaukee, you are a lot closer than most people that come to this show.  Come early morning on Friday.  Go scout around the parking lot.  Anything inside would generally be overpriced.  The show is $50.00 to go into the building on Friday.  Saturday is under $10.00 bucks.  Just hit the parking lot and leave with a juke.  Unless you have $50.00 to burn.  If you never saw it before, and you are already there, it would be worth it.  It's close to me so if I want to go inside, I come back on Saturday.

http://www.chicagolandshow.com/

A lot of stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: