SMC Discussion Areas
May 01, 2024, 09:30:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Questions Regarding Vendo 44 Resto  (Read 25187 times)
jeff740

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 07:35:38 pm »

Baseplate and fanmotor bracket can be removed from the deck, then the compressor and condenser can be painted in place.

Hey Moondawg, I'm a little bit confused what to do. What do you mean by removing the baseplate from the deck??  Im probably just not familiar with the terminology Sad 

I would like to paint the compressor, fan motor bracket and the actual metal plate that these items are bolted to.  Do you guys usually spray the baseplate black as well?

Also, do I need any kind of paint that can withstand high heat or would a standard tremclad spray paint do?

Lastly, all the screw heads on the machine are a very odd looking shape.  It looks like a square Robertson head except its more rectangular than square.  I've tried using a standard square head screw driver with SOME success.  I wasn't sure if these screw heads were something more regional specific but I guess I am wondering what everyone else does to get these little oddballs out?

Thanks again everyone..

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:55 pm »

I would like to paint the compressor, fan motor bracket and the actual metal plate that these items are bolted to.  Do you guys usually spray the baseplate black as well?
See pic. The base was originally a pastel pink color.

Also, do I need any kind of paint that can withstand high heat or would a standard tremclad spray paint do?
No - a semi-gloss black enamel will work.

Lastly, all the screw heads on the machine are a very odd looking shape.  It looks like a square Robertson head except its more rectangular than square.  I've tried using a standard square head screw driver with SOME success.  I wasn't sure if these screw heads were something more regional specific but I guess I am wondering what everyone else does to get these little oddballs out?

These are called clutch head screws and you can get a driver bit at Ace Hardware.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »

You built a nice little stand for this. Unbolt the components from the baseplate and slide it out from under them. Some bolts are underneath.

Glen
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 12:09:25 am »

Speaking as a fellow newbie, I have to say that redoing the compressor deck can actually be one of hte most rewarding aspects of working on a machine.  I don't have the equipment or the skill to do a lot of the bodywork or exterior paint work and obviously any chrome or zinc plating has to be outsourced.  But cleaning up the compressor, assuming it is mechanically functional, can be done by almost anyone if they will put in a little time.  I highly recommend cleaning up the copper tubing, it will shine like new.  Tape it off and  paint the compressor and condenser.  Replace the condenser/evap fans and rewire.  Then, when you show off your machine, you can proudly point to the cooling deck and say you revamped that on your own.  Just take your time and pay attention to the small capillary tube when you are working with the copper.  Below is my first attempt on cleaning up a deck.  The condition of mine in the first pic looks a lot like yours.  The final result ain't perfect, and certainly doesn't compare to anything to big guys on here do, but I felt pretty good about it and I would bet you will too.  And no making fun of the makeshift drying deck.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:13:09 am by BrianS » Logged

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
jeff740

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 08:47:04 pm »

Just a few quick questions regarding my vendo 44 restoration.  Its been a while since Ive been here but the project seems to be gaining some momentum again so hopefully I'll be here more often!

1. I've polished the copper lines as Im cleaning up and repainting the cooling system.  Is there any way to keep them looking this shiny or will they just have to be repolished every once in a while?

2. When replacing the fan motors I noticed there is a rubber anti vibration piece that goes on but there is also a metal shim looking part that also was included with the new fan motors.  I didnt see the shim piece on the original motors that I took out so I was wondering if this is to be used or discarded.  If it is to be used, in what order does it go for remounting everything?

3.  What gauge of wire should be used for the wiring that connects from the wiring box to the compressor?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Pictures coming soon Smiley
cyberphox

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:24 pm »

Hi Guys,

Got the bottle stack mechanism turning so everything is fine now.  Seems it was just a little seized from not being turned over for 20 plus years.

I haven't removed my stack but my mechanism seems seized as well. Right now it appears to be just to the left of straight up vertical and will only turn to the right as far as vertical...any tips on how you get it turned?
Like you I'm a bit of a newbie and don't want to break the thing...the bottle rocks don't appear to be moving much at all
jeff740

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:01 pm »

I think I just ended up spraying mine down with a spray lubricant and then just kept trying to manually move any moving part to loosen up whatever was stuck.  It almost seemed like an accident that everything started moving again as I dont remember exactly what it was that I did to get it going again.  If I recall correctly, I think it was that the thing that is rotated by the action of the crank handle that wasnt springing back so while I was trying to move it forward it was actually already in that position and just wanted to spring back into position.  Im sure nothing is jammed though so its probably just a question of working those moving parts as I said.  The whole mechanism was a little peculiar to me at first as I had no idea which way or how anything moved.
cyberphox

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 07:48:10 pm »

i read it also goes in and out..so just reached in and pulled it...didnt feel like it moved...but all of a sudden it turns smooth like butter...
Now I just wish I had the space to take out the compressor and things at the bottom and repaint and polish it up...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: