SMC Discussion Areas
March 29, 2024, 02:27:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning fluid for Ideal mechanical coin mech  (Read 4897 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:19 am »

Quick question - has anyone ever used automotive brake cleaner to clean a mechanical (Ideal slider mech in this case) coin mech 'guts' ?   

My thinking is that it is a good degreaser and does not leave an oily residue...otherwise you wouldn't want to use it on automotive brakes.   The Ideal manual calls for cleaning with lighter fluid (I love it, what a different time) which I would think would be no more caustic than brake cleaner. 

The mechanical coin mechs do not seem to have any plastic parts, so I'm not concerned with a reaction from the fluid, but I don't believe brake cleaner will damage most plastic anyway.

I use it as an all-purpose cleaner to degrease and clean all sorts of parts on my car, so I'll probably go for it unless someone on this list says otherwise.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!
Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:03 am »

I think it'd work great, no reason it wouldn't.  I wouldn't use throttle body or carb cleaner, as it leaves behind a film.

wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:30 pm »

Just for your info....All break cleaner is not created equal....We use it on the racing kart to clean lots of different items....The Wal-Mart brand works best for us....Some of the other break cleaners contains something that will etch/corrode aluminum.

Brian
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:01 pm »

Thanks Brian,
I use either "Brake Kleen" or the local store brand (Advance Auto Parts) - I don't have much aluminum on my Triumphs so I don't know if either will have an affect on aluminium.  I will check the label and make sure I wipe everything clean afterwards.  I'm not looking to soak them in it, just as a "spray and wipe" cleaner.

Tkaz,
Yeah, I would not use carb cleaner on it.   It would be either brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner.  Brake cleaner is cheaper and comes in bigger cans - so I think I'll start with that.   smile

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:56:44 pm »

FYI - there is a bushing that the shaft goes through that is made of pot metal

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Norrisk66

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:42:53 am »

Just for your info....All break cleaner is not created equal....We use it on the racing kart to clean lots of different items....The Wal-Mart brand works best for us....Some of the other break cleaners contains something that will etch/corrode aluminum.

Brian

Brian is right- There are 2 different kinds of brake cleaner.  Chlorinated and Non-Chlorinated.  Not sure if the Chlorinated attacks aluminum-but I know it is pretty harsh.

I would definitely use the Non-Chlorinated to be on the safe side.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: