SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 09:34:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavalier 72 rust repair  (Read 2589 times)
flippa
25 Cent Member

« on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:09 pm »

I finally got around to tearing into my Cavalier 72.  I completely disassembled the machine in order to remove the tub and old insulation.  I knew that I had some rust to deal with; it has a "belt line" rot hole at the rear of the machine.  When I removed the cooling system I discovered that the tub has a fairly large rot hole directly under the evaporator.

I am going to have the shell soda blasted, have the rot hole properly repaired and painted.  I am not sure what to do about the tub.  I know that Funtronics carries a reproduction floor for this machine.  I plan on keeping this machine and feel that may have a future problem if I simply treat the existing rust and cover it up. 

I am looking to the experts out here for advice.  Should I attempt to drill out the spot welds and have a new floor reproduced at a sheet metal shop, or should I just treat the rust & cover it up with the reproduction floor?

kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:31:14 pm »

Personally I would replace the it. If your that far into it there is no point in putting a rusty part back in. Just my two cents worth.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print