SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 02:03:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you dare share????  (Read 9974 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »

Ok, after watching the board I have been amazed that everyone always seems to think that so many machines is overpriced. There is often a story or picture that someone posts with a jackpot find like... I bought this Vendo 44 in perfect condition for $75, but it was 5 years ago.

I realize that there are many professionals here that are buying to restore and sell, and they are trying to keep their cost down and I'm not talking after you put $3000 worth of work into it. I'm more talking the machines that you bought, then sold when you realized you were not going to ever get to it or you bought to resell. I don't care what you paid, just what the ACTUAL MARKET VALUE IS. What you sold it for!!!

I doubt most have the brass tacks to actually add to this post, but what are the prices that you have SOLD machines for or expect to get out of it when you are selling it??? Or if you have them, how much would it actually take to pry them out of your possession?!?! I'm just interested to see how many people that will only pay $1200 for a perfect Vendo 81D, have sold them for MORE than $1200!!!

Vendo 81 -
Vendo 56 -
Vendo 39 -
Vendo 44 -
Vendo 23 -
Vendo 63 -
Vendo 90 -

VMC 33
VMC 81
VMC 110

Cavalier CMD-D\C-12 -
Cavalier 27 -
Cavalier 51 -
Cavalier 72 -
Cavalier 96 -
Cavalier CSS-64 -
Cavalier USS-64 -

Westinghouse Junior -
Westinghouse Standard -
Westinghouse Master -
Westinghouse WD-5 -
Westinghouse WE-6 -
Westinghouse WD-10 -
Westinghouse WD-12 -
Westinghouse WD-22 -
Westinghouse WC-42T
Westinghouse WC-60 -  (Dial model)

Glasco GBV-50 -

Ideal 55B -
Ideal 85B -

Stoner theater -
Stoner 180 -
Stoner Jr -
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:53:22 pm by MaineT » Logged

Tim
vintage-air
10 Cent Member

Restoring America...1 machine at a time!

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

Tim, I don't understand your question. Why would anyone buy a machine and sell it any cheaper than what they paid. Searching, travel time, gas, food, lodging all takes time and money. Most of us are in it for the love of these vintage pieces and we all need money to fuel our passion. Restoring and enjoying are rewarding but some like to sell and share their passion as well. We are all in it for the money! It takes money to make money. I would rather these machines be found, restored and sold for a profit than sit in an old barn to rust away. Buy, sell, profit, learn and grow friendships. That's what this hobby is about.

RC-81
Pepsi -81
Coca Cola 81-D's
Vendo 39's
Vendo 44's
WD-12's
WH5-T
Westinghouse Junior
Victor 3 door cooler
Lots of picnic coolers... RC, Grapette, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange Crush
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:20 pm »

I'm just trying to figure out why every post has 3-4 people saying every machine is overpriced if it isn't free. If people want to share what they are SELLING or ASKING for them, we can have a barometer of what is and isn't overpriced.

It does cost gas and time and such, but does that mean that someone shouldn't buy a good machine for what they are selling for? I have sold a couple non working machines to upgrade my machines when I had the chance, and I have gotten more then people are saying are "overpriced" for a good working machine. I'm ok with people making a profit, but would you say that same machine someone is asking about is overpriced if you were selling it!!

When someone asks about a decent machine at a decent price in the range for what you can actually get for one there are people chiming in saying that they are always overpriced. We are all hunting for that VMC 81 basement find, but the reality is there is if you find it it may not be $500 just because someone got one once for that price 5-10 years ago. That is the jackpot find that gets flooded on craigs list within an hour and has people cutting each others throat to get it.

So to clarify my question, What are your SELLING prices of these machines or if you have one that isn't for sale, what would your asking price be? Not what you would ask if you had one or what would you pay for one. What you pay is obviously low enough to cover gas, time, and make that fat profit to feed the habit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:36:04 pm by MaineT » Logged

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:31:06 pm »

If you read the threads, you will see the value differs by area. Good luck finding an RC cola machine in the midwest, or a Pepsi machine in Georgia. The coasts are more expensive than the  central US  and shipping is a bear  corss country.

Sorry i want the best deal. No, actually i'm not. I'll look for the best deal, on my terms. If it's too much I'll politely pass, if it's some goofy pie in the sky asking price, I'll pass.   If you want to pay  TV prices i have plenty of machines I can sell you.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »

If you read the threads, you will see the value differs by area. Good luck finding an RC cola machine in the midwest, or a Pepsi machine in Georgia. The coasts are more expensive than the  central US  and shipping is a bear  corss country.

Sorry i want the best deal. No, actually i'm not. I'll look for the best deal, on my terms. If it's too much I'll politely pass, if it's some goofy pie in the sky asking price, I'll pass.   If you want to pay  TV prices i have plenty of machines I can sell you.

I agree, we all want the best deal when we buy them. Hell, I want them for nothing if I can, but just because someone sells me a vendo 81 for $100 doesn't mean that it is overpriced if I sell it in 3 hours on craigs list for $1500. If you sell something in a day or so on craigs list, you probably left money/value on the table.

Tim
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »

I guess I am just like most people If I like it I will buy it if I can afford it. All the machines I buy I keep so if it is in ok condition I will buy it and restore for my enjoyment. But  I can not stand to hear some one say I can't pay that I have to have meat on the bone to resell. I was at a swap meet and as I was looking at a sign I had been given a price on and a guy who was buying to resale was given a $50 dollar cheaper price because he had to resale.Trust me you can watch all the TV you want but if I gave you a price for something i do not care what you are doing with it that is what it will cost.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:13 pm »

I guess I am just like most people If I like it I will buy it if I can afford it. All the machines I buy I keep so if it is in ok condition I will buy it and restore for my enjoyment. But  I can not stand to hear some one say I can't pay that I have to have meat on the bone to resell. I was at a swap meet and as I was looking at a sign I had been given a price on and a guy who was buying to resale was given a $50 dollar cheaper price because he had to resale.Trust me you can watch all the TV you want but if I gave you a price for something i do not care what you are doing with it that is what it will cost.

Agreed, it doesn't matter what you paid for it and wanting the "dealer discount" is BS. The reality is it is worth what you can sell it for but why is there always someone on this board willing to say that every machine is overpriced? If you can afford it, and it is half of the retail asking prices, and it is going to sell in a week or 2 for that price, why is that overpriced? Not a steal or deal of a lifetime that we are all looking for, but not overpriced either.

Tim
darrelcraig

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »

I can't figure out why anyone would sell a machine?  If you sell them, doesn't that mean you arent addicted?

That being said, I recently overpaid for a WC-60-MD  biggrin 
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »

I've overpaid for a lot of machines...and got lucky and sold most of them for what I've paid or a little more. I've also picked up machines for $300 and and sold for 3k. But I have no problem paying market value on a machine.

I just hate it when the seller has to say well I paid this so it should be worth $500 more than I paid and that's how they come up with the price, even though they overpaid for the machine. I know other people that will ask you or they already know what you paid for a machine and want to give you $50 over that price, which happens to be a terrible price because I found the great deal to start with.

And what kills me is that I know prices or different on the East Coast vs. the West Coast vs. the Midwest...but I know people an hour away from me that can sell a machine for 2 x's the amount I would get and I advertise the hell out of it and clean it up and buy any missing parts, etc. So my philosophy is start high on my asking price (sometimes asking for crazy money) and come down from there...I used to just be reasonable on most stuff and I still am with people I know, but if I have to list it on Craigslist, it's starting way higher than what I think I will really sell it at.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:32:49 pm »

I understand MaineT question. Pricing is pricing. Being on this board we all have the same idea on what something is worth but average Joe Six Pack who wants a 81 to keep his beer cold in his man cave really has no idea. He'll check CL, e-bay, his bank account, wife then make his decision on what he is willing to spend. Because it will be the only machine he will over own and buy it will be much more then "our" prices.

I think a 81 is worth $2,500 all day long but if someone here asks the question I think we will hear something like "start at $1,200".

It comes down to who, how, and where someone is selling it. I know I can sell any Coke Machine higher then probably anyone is the city I live in because I know how to market it. A lot of it is also both timing and luck. I remember selling a Vendo 80 on e-bay for $2,800 about a couple of years ago. I remember because someone here started a thread on it bashing the machine and saying the auction was fake. No, I just got lucky I found a buyer local who told me in person he was overpaying for the machine just because her really wanted it. Is a Vendo 80 with a half ass paint job worth $2,800, no but it was to him so who are we to even say what something is worth.  

I just sold a generic KIST slider for $2,000. If I would have had SMC appraise it i would have heard around $500 and rightfully so. My buyer was a huge KIST soda collector who had never seen a KIST machine so he had to have it and to him it was worth $2,000 plus shipping. Again, is any generic slider worth $2,000, probably not......or is it???
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:03:45 am by mygoose101 » Logged

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored