SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 09:30:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mold-A-Ramas  (Read 5269 times)
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« on: September 04, 2012, 07:38:00 pm »

I know that most of us here are into other "retro" hobbies besides pop machines, so I'm passing on some information for those interested in Mold-A-Ramas. Molc-A-Ramas are familiar to those in Florida and the Chicago area, since that are where the last two operators are located.

I started a web site for helping people keep track of current locations, molds, and prices. Right now it sends you to a Facebook page for discussion. The site is Mold-A-Rama-Locations.com.

If you are interested in joining a Mold-A-Rama "mold club," Moldville.com is starting a second year of Club-A-Rama. Each week an old retired mold is run. It was started last year by a lawyer in DC who thought it would be cool to buy a machine and a bunch of molds. This year the operator in Florida is taking over. He has a collection of over 600 different mold sets. More information can be found at http://www.moldville.com/CLUB_A_RAMA_v2_0.html and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moldville/156515454416041?success=1

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
chipskittles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »

I had just about every one of those when I was a kid!  I got them from the San Antonio, Tx zoo.  They still had the mold machines a few years ago when I was there, my son got the giraffe!
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:21 pm »

I remember those.  They were always cool.  I'd like to smell one again being made.  I forgot the smell but I'm sure if I was blind folded and that scent came by, I would know it right away.  Melted plastic or was it wax?  I don't remember.

A lot of stuff.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:13 pm »

Those are awesome! I remember I got to use one of those machines at a zoo in minesota. I got a shark and a dolphin but unfortuanlty they got broken when I took them to show and tell at school.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »

There's a guy that sets up at a local flea market has several of those he got them at the St. Louis Zoo.. he had the gorilla and the St. Louis arch from what I remeber... You could get them at the zoo.. but no more... they were around 10-15 dollars from what I remember him asking for them now...
At the zoo now all you can get is a pressed penny.. down

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
MCarter
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »

Does the sears tower in Chicago still have one?

Matt

RC VMC - 81 Orignal
Vendo V-56 Two Tone Round Top ~~ Currently in use
Seeburg 100 G Jukebox ~~ Restored
Minit Pop Popcorn Machine ~~ Restored
Cavalier 55-D ~~ Restored
Rockola 1426 ~~ Orignal--- For Sale
Chicago Coin Band Box ~~~ Restored
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:03:02 am »

I remember something like that at the local mall when I was a kid.  I believe you could only get dinosaurs out of that machine.  have not seen those in years!

drinking Tim drinking
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:16:00 am »

I had asked on here about those previously.  I grew up on Mold-o-Rama and I think I had one from every tourist attraction up and down the east coast.   Nothing beat the smell of that thing as is came out of the machine into my little hands still piping hot!!!
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »

First thing my three-year-old daughter did when we got some at Brookfield Zoo last month was ask to smell it. By what I understand, a few years ago they changed the formula so it is more plasticy, so they hold up better.
Yes, the Willis Tower has one. I have not gotten this one yet since I hate going to Chicago.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Gearheadsodajerk66

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:44:40 am »

dr galaga, the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn , MI still has several of the mold-a- ramas that dispense busts of Lincoln, 1965 ford mustangs and a few others that I don't immediately recall. I was there just a couple of months ago and they were doing a banner business. Cool

Gearhead
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: