SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 01:14:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is this hobby going?  (Read 13249 times)
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:06 am »

the things that bring the most money and the biggest demand are the brands that people recognize the most. 

That is very true, I just never realized it before.

Glen
Chris
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:35 am »

The thing that will keep this hobby going, is the fact that Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7up, Crush, RC and many others are still produced and marketed.   I collect lots of advertising items and the things that bring the most money and the biggest demand are the brands that people recognize the most.  Most of us collect items that were produced way before we were born, because we recognize the brand name.  As long as the brand names live the items will be collectible. Just look on ebay, you will see a Coke sign from the 60's going for $350 and a Moxie sign from the 40's not getting any interest because most people don't remember or aren't interested in that brand..  Just my two cents...

That is because MOXIE is disgusting........  LOL  Just kidding.

Chris

Vendo 23A
Vendo 80(Red/White Original)
Vendo 80(All Red Original)
Seeburg JL (Original)
Watling Penny Scale (Restored)
Stoner Jr
Stoner 180
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 10:40:56 am »

The whole other side of this too is if you collecting now for investment purposes ,thinking your Rare VMC 81 is going get you that retirment condo on the beach, then your doing it for the wrong reasons...

I collect now because I like it "now"... If I happen to have a few discretionary dollars available and I like something I buy it now, display it and enjoy it now...

sure I'd hope to get my money out of it if and when the time comes to sell but I'm not basing my buying decision on that...

Have you seen that new show out now called Collection obsession or collection hoarding.. can't remember the name... can't wait for one of use to be featured!  biggrin

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13:30 am »

Just look on ebay, you will see a Coke sign from the 60's going for $350 and a Moxie sign from the 40's not getting
any interest because most people don't remember or aren't interested in that brand..  Just my two cents...

That's right... so just save yourself some time and send me those no name Nichol Kola coolers you all have hidden
behind your Vendo 81s!... Please!!! biggrin

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:11 am »

Needless to say only time will tell. I did think it was going to die but I think different now. First, I thought I was the youngest guy here, 44, but I don't think that anymore which is very good. Born in 67 I grew up in the 70's and don't remember any of this stuff, all the 50's machines were long gone. It seems like all the collectors I know are older then me and always talk about remembering seeing this stuff as a kid which I didn't. The sad thing is most people don't like or even care about this stuff, only a handfull like us. We can have friends, family, neighbors, etc. come to the house where I always have a few machines displayed and honestly they go unnoticed.   

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »

Mygoose...I'm in the same boat as you.  I just turned 40 a few months ago.  I have these machines displayed in MY mancave (the Mrs doesnt read these posts) and just a few people are somewhat interested in my machines when they see them, most dont even ask about them.  Yet ALL my friends laugh and joke about "when is your next road trip pto get another machine.?" 
I've stopped telling friends and family when I'm going or what I'm getting.  It's MY hobby, I enjoy it, I like the  machines, and I get them now because I'm alive now, and I want to have that smile on my face now, not when I'm 80 and I have that smile because of the meds that I'm on.

Figure it out this way (thats what I always do for fun, and the justify it to myself lol)

Fugure out what you've spent on all  your machines. Then add up all the years you've had them, add up all the years you HOPe to still be alive, take that number and divide it by what you spent on the machines, then divide it by 365 (days in a year) and you come up with a number that usually is the cost of a cup of coffee per day.
Hey, that would be a good thread to start lol.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »

All very well said. I think the interest is strong. For the most part guests and neighboors get a kick out of the toys. Age range is 30 to 70.
Some could care less. I understand that. One could have the finest collection of Barbie dolls but I have no interest in those. Each their own.

Biggest problem I see is after morgage/food/gas most folks don't have much left over. Buying cool stuff is far down the list.

Pondered Mr. Bonovox's formula and it was pennies a day. I'll never get back the $45 I paid for a non working Talking Viewmaster. But turning into a working unit was great fun.
My nephew will do well on the RT-56. Buy what you like and have fun.
Creighton

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:29:44 pm by Creighton » Logged
Matt
10 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

50's machine are made of steel, right? So they're at least worth their weight at the current market value of steel...  tounge

Vendo 81A
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »

Have you seen that new show out now called Collection obsession or collection hoarding.. can't remember the name... can't wait for one of use to be featured!
TLC contacted me for something along those lines... I passed them onto someone else...

My six cents,

Jim

SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »

In my early Twentys I started collecting the Jim Beam Bottles, mostly the autos, because of there value then, now it has dropped completely. It taught me collecting is for fun and meeting people with the same interest, and if you make a few bucks trading and selling its a win. Do get me wrong I am always trying to keep up on the value of everything and what most sought after just in case I find it. tounge

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: