SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 11:04:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad to see go  (Read 7083 times)
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:22 pm »

I must say, today was my sons last day of work with me over the summer. He has been helping me from 8am to 12pm Mon/Fri, just 4 hours a day so he can still be a kid but he wanted to get a job this summer and what better than to work with me and teach him a little. Well he took down 5 Stoners: 2 Theatres, 2 Pastry Machines, 1 Jr. He helped with one of the theatres from start to finish, Delivery on Sat. He re-shelved all 5 machines and installed the knobs, pin stripped and a few other odd jobs. At times he felt like giving up when he couldn't do something, I told him think about it, figure it out and he stuck with it and did great. Sad to see him go back to school but proud of him and he did get a pay check each week. ( you think a 14 year old would work for nothing ) I can't beleave how fast time slips by, wheres it go.

Curtis Kauffman, Memory Lane Restorations/www.retrovending.com
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:13:55 pm »

Nice story to see and hear. I know exactly what you mean on where does the time go. Seems like they are born, you blink your eyes and next thing you know, they are getting a license (my son is 16 and a half). Enjoy the time he spends working with you while you have it is the only advice I have. I hope he continues to show intrest in working on machines with you Smiley.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »

Fantastic... Lovely story. Wish I could get my 11 yr old off the X-Box..
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:54 pm »

I wish I could get my 16 year old daughter to help, but she never gets out with me...

My six cents,

Jim

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:22:02 pm »

Curtis, really awesome that he was out there working with you all summer.  Working through those problem solving skills is a lesson that more kids should go through at an early age, I think it helps leaps and bounds when you are in school and when you finally enter the working world.  Plus those are memories that'll last a lifetime, working in the shop with Dad!

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 04:34:47 pm »

My two boys could care less, but I do enlist their service occasionally when "I need you to crawl under there and fetch that screw." or "Hold this piece just like I have it!". They are my smaller and smallest hands usually!! I agree too - it goes by way fast so cherish it!

I did have to smile the other day though.
My 6th grader's class had a "finish the sentence" like questionaire, so classmates could get to know each other this school year.
One of the sentences was "A strange thing about me is____"
My son finished his sentence with..."my house is full of vintage soda machines and I don't drink soda!"
Maybe he does appreciate them??

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:24:22 pm »

Great story... I look forward to the day my kids can be a helping hand.  Teaching them something like that is MUCH better than MANY kids I know who sit in front of the computer or TV and complain that they are bored.
Plus, our kids need people to restore our machines lol.

As a side not to the above post.... I hat mushrooms but love mushroom sauce.
AND... my wife does not drink sodas, AND she hates my machines lol.

happydrinkers

Tell your kids that there are geezers on this board that are happy to see them involved!!!

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »

Great story!  I hope to restore a stoner with my kids when they are older. 
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

The Sign painter is pinstripping the machine as I type and a few min. ago at dinner, my son ask if the sign painter was hand stripping the machine. So he is still interested in his first Stoner Theatre being completed. Were going to deliver it in the morning. I want him to see his first machine come full circle. He might get a little un-expected spending cash, just so he can see the rewards come when it's done and delivered. PS he plays those games as much as the next kid, that was the good thing about him working, he wouldn't be on that game for 4 hours a day.
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:06:17 pm »

I think the biggest thing that hurt me as a young adult his not having that "garage" time with my Dad.  I was oblivious to most basic tools and it has taken me a long time to learn the basics. 

Your son having this type of experience will probably be some of his best memories.  I applaud your effort and think its one of the best things a father can do.

Jared
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: