SMC Discussion Areas
May 29, 2024, 04:43:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting  (Read 6300 times)
booker1978

« on: August 02, 2012, 08:02:03 am »

Does anyone know of  a quality painter in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that they have personally used for their machine? I thought I would start here before I start calling the bazillion body shops in the area. Thanks!

Brandon
Euless, TX
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:48:17 am »

If you have the space to paint you may go to a local paint shop and get some information,  It really isnt that hard.  You would be surprised how much those guys know. 

I would definitely go with a base coat, clear coat.  A single stage enamel is not nearly as hard and it makes it really hard to get a good shine on it.  The hardener on a single stage is 4 to 1.  A two stage paint is 8 to 1 much better for cutt and buffing for that shine.
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »

8-1 ?

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:54:17 pm »

8-1 ?

Yes, base coat is 8 to 1 on the hardener, instead of a 4 to 1 on the hardener.  The higher the number the stronger the hardener.  So what my painter has been teaching me....

When we used a single stage enamel when we when to cutt the paint to buff the final coat the paint couldn't take a very high grit of sandpaper.   We had to scratch and repaint the box.  Typically on a base coat clear coat we can cutt the paint with a 1,000 grit sand paper and than buff it to a glossy shine.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:56:43 pm by Slapshot42 » Logged
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

biggrin  I paint for a living and that a new one for me .  tounge

Zadd
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »

biggrin  I paint for a living and that a new one for me .  tounge

Do you still paint with single stage enamel paint?   Sorry if you disagree.  I was offering information I thought was useful based off of my personal experience.

I hope I didn't mis lead anyone.   blush
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:01 pm »

I was just messing with you  :smile:But if you have 4 parts color and 1 part  hardner per mix   then you have 3 more parts of solid than hardner = 4.1  . I have never seen a base coat / clear coat mix 8 to 1  ..... Base coat  in most cases is 2 coats at 2.1  and two coats of clear at 2.1  The clear coat should produce atleast a mil or more of film protection per coat . The enamel paint should produce the same  it just lacks UV protection . Base coat clear is better if you should ever have to repair the paint.

Zadd
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »

That's good information.  Perhaps there are different ratios depending on the brand?   Now, you got me thinking to go outside to read the small print on the back of the can!  laugh biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: