SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 09:56:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glasco slider with 4 cases of soda  (Read 5177 times)
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:22:50 pm »

Hi all.  I am fairly new to soda machine collecting, and had a few quick questions.  I just got my hands on my second soda machine.   While visiting a jobsite this past week, I was given an older Glasco 50 slider.  

An older home was getting torn down to make way for a new home, and the demo contractor was complaining of the "junk" left in the garage of the house.  Most of it was trash, with the exception of the Glasco slider.  He told me that his guys had taken the "good" soda machines that were in there, but this one was left.  Withour hesitation, I told him that I would help him out and get it out of his way.  The machine is in real nice shape, no major body damage and no rust whatsoever.  As usual, it is missing the coin mech, cap catcher and the rack, but it still cools like a champ.  I will post a few pictures this week.

After loading it into my truck, he asked me if I wanted the old soda that was left behind.  There were 40 full bottles of 10 oz. Cokes and 38 full bottles of 10 oz. Tab., all in 4 wooden case boxes.  Being a packrat, I took these as well.  

Now my questions;

1. Where can I find information on restoring the Glasco slider?  

2. There is a button/plunger switch on the interior rear wall that is stuck.  What is it's purpose?    

3. Is it more or less the same machine as the Ideal 55?  There seems to be alot more info on the Ideal 55.  Are the missing parts interchangable, or are they specific to each manufacturer?

4. What is the market on the old bottles?  Are they more valuable being full?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 12:21:25 am »

Yea, coke machines in garages. They seem to be showing up recently. I just ready a newsgroup of a person who gave away a pepsi machine a few weeks back. They was moving and couldn't move it. This is also the reason I have not moved mine up to here. I'm afraid I'll move out of the house and have no way to move the machines. Good luck on getting that machine working 100%

later,

ussexplorer
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 06:07:36 am »

I am restoring a Glasco 50 myself. I have no idea what the plunger switch is. Mine is missing and I have been wondering what it went to as well. The slider rack is being reproduced. Call Steve Ebner at 301-371-5246. you will want to order his $7.00 catalog. He has all kinds of stuff for our machine. they even remake the seals, lid, and capcatcher. They make an origional slider mech or instead of 5 slats they have one with 4 slats that can hold the new plastic bottles. I'm not sure but I think they even make the coin box. Good luck.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 11:01:12 am »

The push button is unique to the Glasco. Controls a small fanmotor in the lower compartment, Ideal has none.
      Different coin mechanisms, cap catchers and doorliners but all parts are interchangable.

Glen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 10:04:26 am »

Sorry I have taken so long to post these pictures, I've been real busy with work, etc. (and a bunch of other lame excuses).

Attached are a few pictures of my "new" Glasco machine.  As I satated earlier, it is in fairly good condition with the expected scratches to the paint, but nothing terrible.  The coke logo on the front is stained/discolored, but I have not tried to clean the machine yet.  And yes, the rack, shelf and coin mech are missing, as is the key for the side door.

Thanks for the imput guys, I now see where the fan is supposed to mount and plug in to the rear of the cooling compartment.  When I first picked up the machine, I could not figure out why there was that strange looking divider inside.

The only thing I have done to the machine is to change the cord, and it is real quiet and cools like a champ.  Now for the fun part, trying to find the missing pieces.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 10:05:30 am »

A second view of the front
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 10:07:05 am »

No, the above pic was an ID tag, this is the front view.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 10:08:54 am »

Here are the 4 cases of old soda.  Does anyone know if these bottles are worth anything full as opposed to being empty?
vendobaldtops
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 10:03:41 am »

Hi,

There is a slider rack on eBay starting at 75 dollars.  I don't have the item number or when it ends...but I saw it the other day either under search term Vendo or Coke Machine!  

Also, I do not think those bottles are worth much.  They look like they are fairly recent 70s-80s.  If they were the embossed bottles from the 50s, you might be able to get a few bucks each for them, maybe more depending on which bottling plant they came out of (info embossed on the bottom of the 50s' bottles).  Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: