SMC Discussion Areas
April 27, 2024, 10:30:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions about a 7up 85 slider  (Read 12185 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »

I picked this up a while back an I'm about to start digging into it.  I had a few questions before I started.  First, it looks like some sort of rectangular sign was once below the 7up logo.  If you look at the pictures below you can see four holes where the sign was riveted into the panel.  I assume that was probably not stock and someone stuck a sign below it?  I can't imagine what it could have been.  Seems about the size of those old DP rectangular signs.  Secondly, on the 7up logo there's small writing referencing the US patent office in black that says "REG. U.S. PAT. OFF".  I assume you all leave this off when restoring or do you all get a decal made to replicate this text?  Thanks.

Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:15:15 am »

Looks to be the size of a Dr. Pepper sign.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:26:37 am »

Or RC cola. The sign was added after it left the factory.
The Pat Registration  message can be left off, or a decal used if you're a purist. most people wouldn't ever notice it missing , and  most restores  ignore it.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41:51 am »

Could use a reverse vinyl masking and put the trade mark back if you wanted. You could also paint “You Like” “It Likes You”
with some deco green lines to dress up the cooler on either side of the embossing... Breaks up the white.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:50 pm »

Thank you everyone.  Just want to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »

Anyone have ideas on a replacement lid gasket?  Seems as though only the 55 gasket is reproduced.  I know the 85s aren't as popular since they are larger, but for those that have restored them, what do you use for a new gasket?  Do you piece together two 55 gaskets?

Also, I took the lid apart and under the top lid there is particle board and then insulation on the inside lid.  Having particle board under lid seems a strange chose (as it holds water).  What do others use under the lid when restoring?  Plywood?  Would spraying it with bedliner help?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:18:02 pm by brasskey » Logged
Grey Wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:41:54 am »

The Funtronics lid gasket for the 85 is not a direct replacement, but it is the only one I could find when I redid mine last year.  It works really well though, and sits on the body, not the lid like the original.  It comes as one big piece that you have to cut in the corners.  When I put it in, I used some black silicone to mate the pieces together.  As far as the particle board in the lid, I used plywood in mine.  Worked well, but not as easy to put in the lid as the particle board.  Owens Corning makes a small roll of 1.5 inch insulation that works really good as a replacement for the lid insulation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:43:55 am by Grey Wolf » Logged
Grey Wolf

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

Here is a pic of the gasket installed.

brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:57:49 pm »

Thanks Grey Wolf. I actually didn't have a gasket there. I'll have to add one. I'll look for it at Funtronics. I was talking about the gasket that goes on the lid itself.
Grey Wolf

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »

That is the replacement lid gasket.  The new gasket goes on the body instead of the lid.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: